Thread: Prazi Beam Cutter

Prazi Beam Cutter

Hi. I am looking for input on the Prazi Beam Cutter; worm drive vs. direct drive, etc. I am thinking of buying one for historical restoration projects and such and would like to hear from folks who own or use one.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Ive had one for several years, used it on a Dewalt DW 364. It works very well at cutting large beams and logs. We built a few log homes using it and it worked fine. Not the smoothest cut in the world but straight anyway. I use it with a large speed square as a guide and a couple squeeze quick clamps. If you are doing logs with it the thing I found that works good is to do a mating cut. Square both ends to be butted together then push them tight against each other and make a mating cut right down the kerf between the two, this makes a nice joint for butt joints. We also did alot of half laps with it and again it did the job fine. Doesnt take a huge worm drive saw and in fact I would think the added weight would just make it even more awkward to use than it is. ALWAYS be aware that the bar is pointed straight down and to keep your legs clear. I glazed my pants leg once with it enough to get my attention.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thought I would add that the 16" Makita circular saw is a much better investment. It does an excellent job at cutting logs and large beams and it FAR more accurate than the prazi. I dont use the prazi much at all since we got the Makita several years ago. It cuts as smooth as any other circ saw you just have to keep your eye on the setup and keep it square. Every morning I had to check it to make sure it didnt get knocked off of 90 degrees.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

The Prazi is a good tool. Have used it quite a bit for cutting large timbers. I have it mounted on a 77 skill and wouldn't put it on anything smaller. The cut quality is okay but it is still a chain saw. The 16" makita makes much better cuts if your timbers are less than 6" deep.

I have one on a Skil 77, and I seldom use it. I can cut freehand with a chainsaw just as well and a lot faster. I also have a Makita 16" skilsaw, and they are well worth the money, and are accurate as all heck, if, as Jim has indicated they are treated with respect. I do not let anyone use my second one, after employees toasted my first one.

If you have the worm drive already go for it, but if you don't I would think about options. For example I have a lumbermaker on one of my chain saws I use for cutting windows out of log cabins, and it does an awesome job, and is used for other things as well. If your stock is less than 6" think about the Makita. If you have a lot of cutting to do, practice with a chain saw.

I have one on a worm drive, and I also have the 16" Makita along with several chain saws.

The Prazi does an "ok" job. As Jim mentioned the Makita circular saw is much more accurate, but the Prazi will make a much deeper cut. It will leave the end of the beam a little jagged, similar to a chainsaw; whereas the Makita leaves a smooth finish.

For making cuts on the ground (as opposed to in the air), I've found that the Prazi is more accurate than using a chainsaw by hand.

Thanks for all of your responses. You've given me some good input for making my decision.
    Steve