Thread: Basement shop DC addition

Basement shop DC addition

I was at my local HVAC store today and inquiring about ways to minimize dust in the house. I mentioned I use to have a basement wood shop and salesman directed me over to air cleaners which are mounted between your furnace & fresh air returns. It was a Trane electronic unit and he stated it filters, get this.....99.98 of everything down to .1 of a Micron! I believe this beats the Hepa filter by quite a bit. As a final wall of defense from wood dust circulating in your house, this might be just the thing. He quoted me around $1000.00 which seemed a bit much for what I saw but if the performance is as good as it sounds, It would arguably be worth it. FWIW

Mac

My house was previously owned by someone with terrible allergies. Thus it has a hole-house electronic air cleaner. The Dylos particle counters seem to confirm that it works outstandingly well.

Here, Mac...
    Straight from the horse's mouth.
    Trane Clean Effects
    While it so states up to 99.98% free of allergens, it sez nothing about .1 micron, until you go to the Upgrade Kit Features.
    Then it sez about the .1 micron.
    Sez you just vacuum it every 3 to 9 months.

When we put in our new system, our guy said they weren't all they were cracked up to be. We did wind up with a 5" thick filtration element in our system. We don't have allergies, and have 3 dogs living in the house with us as well.
    But the air stays surprisingly clean, without a $1000 filter.
    Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    Here, Mac...
    Straight from the horse's mouth.
    Trane Clean Effects
    While it so states up to 99.98% free of allergens, it sez nothing about .1 micron, until you go to the Upgrade Kit Features.
    Then it sez about the .1 micron.
    Sez you just vacuum it every 3 to 9 months.

When we put in our new system, our guy said they weren't all they were cracked up to be. We did wind up with a 5" thick filtration element in our system. We don't have allergies, and have 3 dogs living in the house with us as well.
    But the air stays surprisingly clean, without a $1000 filter.
    Your call.
    Sonny, can you give me some info on your 5" filter
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

5. I have a similar system made by Honeywell. It uses a wire mesh prefilter before the electo-static filter. To clean, both filters are vacummed and then run through the dishwasher. Easy to maintain and very effective.