Thread: Modified Oneida system with Wynn filters

Modified Oneida system with Wynn filters

this completes the modification with the BL300 filters from Wynn Environmental for a total of 600 sq ft of filtering area over the 110 that oneida offers with the one filter.
    after initially starting the unit the flow was " in my estimation" 2-3 times what the old style woodtek impellar provided. the system drew every last piece of wood into the cyclone left in the ducting from the old system also had 2 of the 4" ducts open at the time.
    This was a big differance for my shop if you have any questions drop me a line
    the mounting of the new filtersfrom Wynn env. was a breeze there are 2 flanges that I used as guides as I removed one of the gaskets drilled 4 3/8 holes for the 6' 5/16" threaded rod as in the pics. this allowed me support from the bottom of the flange with 2 nuts and a washer .
    also made a flange adapter since the outer diameter of the filter is smaller than the oneida's the id is 8" o.d is 17.5" I applied sealing materiel " from oneida" to the inside of the wood transition at 8" on top and on the dust pan for the bottom. I drilled 4 holes in the wood to run the threaded rod thru for additional support with 2 more nuts each and a washer. this also allowed me to get additional support for the filters.
    the 17.5" od of the wood allows the use of the clips on the dust pan to be functional the same as the oneida unit would have
    the 4 clips release easily to empty the pan when needed
    all in all it was a great upgrade and I beleive to be an improvement to the stock oneida system.

Bill,

Looks like a good idea.

Two questions:

1 - Is that tape on the flex hose between the bottom of the cyclone and the collection container? If so, what is it's function?

2 - What is the disassemble and re-assemble time when you need to blowout the filters?

Thanks,
    Jim

That is a nice adaptation of the Wynn filters, Bill. The one question I have for you is if you checked with Wynn to find out if those filters were designed to flow inside-out? Many filters of that format are intended for outside-in flow...the Torrit filters I had on my older Oneida cyclone were that way and looked nearly identical to the Wynns you are using.

That said, the Oneida filters are engineered to really flow a lot of air and are pretty easy to clean. Folks shouldn't underestimate their effectiveness just based on filter area. I use the Oneida filter with my own 2hp Commercial unit purchased in 2004 and have been very pleased with that setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WYNN Filters

Yes I did ask about the flow and these are fine to use in this application per WYNN environmental
    I do understand that the Oneida is fine, not meaning to detract anything , I just wanted more surface area and to me that does make the filters flow better, these are 99.9 for WOOD products.
    I am very happy your system is working well for you. as I said this was a mod with the note that this was an improvement from my opion. I have my shop in my basement and since I was starting over I took the opportunity to get more area.
    Thanks for the comments. I do love the Oneida system. it is a great improvement from my last system
    Bill

Hey Bill, what about me? Don't I get answers too.?

answers

Jim,
    My most humble apology, yes its a flexible hvac dusct "temporary" between the bottom of the cyclone and the 35 gal carboard drum.
    you can clean the filters in place using air about 5 minutes to get that done. just reserve the airflow using a compressor and your there .
    highly suggest that you blow them out . have a cup of coffee to wait for the particulate to settle them drop off the bottom dust pan . its the yellow cap on the bottom.
    Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I only have the factory issue filter on my Gorilla and when I do the reverse air blow it's usually a temporary thing because I don't find it does the job like taking it off and outside to blow out the inside of the filter. I do that quite often because it is not that much of a challenge to get it off and back on. That's why I asked the question about the ease of removal of the system you installed.

I couldn't figure out the tape thing. I have a bin sensor device(Similar to what Alan did here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=79451 ) and it wouldn't work with the tape. The sensor does work great. I installed it after filling the filter twice. It was one of those things where I was keeping an eye on the see thru connection hose while running the planer and the next thing I knew the chips and dust were in the filter.

Thanks,
    Jim

The tape is just a foil duct tape , I put a windoe out of plexiglass in the drum for a visual aid. no need for this type of contraption but a great idea. I am just low tech.
    Bill

I think it looks great, Bill.
    I do have one burning question though....
    I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but....
    How are you going to get a cold beer out of the ice chest in the summertime?

I mean, those times when the wife isn't there to bring you one.

Good luck with that visual aid.

I had six inches of clear hose and couldn't catch it when I was using my twenty inch planer. Now the contraption turns on two 500 watt lights. Maybe age has something to do with it

I hope you enjoy your Gorilla as much as I do mine.

Jim

Very creative Bill. I really like the idea of mounting the unit sideways. That would work great if you have a low ceiling in your shop. Did you notice any difference in noise level or vibration with the longer filter?

Sonny, your right all of the Beer is trapped !!!!
    I had to mount it that high for the filters and was looking to go with a 55 gal drum. Wife bring me a beer????

NOPE

Jim,
    No as soon as I overfill the drum I will have to post it here. your right the visual aid can get forgotten.
    I am now rethinking the electric EYE
    Most of youo here have given me a lot of great ideas and I appreciate that .
    This is more than likely one of them.
    Bill