Thread: Woodmaster Pricing

Woodmaster Pricing

I'm interested in buying a Woodmaster 712 molder/planer. I received their info packet which included pricing. They advertise a 1/2 price sale of $1795.00 for the 712 with standard pro pack. The offer also includes $300 worth of molding knives. Is this a good deal or is this just their regular price?
    Also the 718 is $1995.00

Robert,

That seems less than the regular price. I paid closer to $2000 for my 712 with the pro Pack. Machine is built like a tank. Made in the USA.

Joe

For $200 more, I'd go with the 718. I have one (got it used) and really like having that 18 inch planer. I always seem to find boards wider than my planers, but with an 18 inch planer, I don't feel so bad trimming a bit to make it work.

You might want to wait for a bit to see what other specials come on the market. I picked up a used 718 after seeing a couple pop up in my area on CL. I also signed up for the promotional packet from Woodmaster, and seem to get weekly "specials" from them. I have to say I find it interesting that they make it very easy to find their pricing, and when you do get it, there are time limits on the specials. Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's their sales strategy.

The machine is fundamentally sound, although a bit on the light side. There are a few mods that many folks make - search over on Woodnet and you can see a recent thread with photos of mods folks have made.

I would also suggest you take a look to Holbren for straight knives. They are priced very well, and service is great. I don't know if they sell moldings - I have not tried to make any, and likely won't given my hobby use and the relative costs of the molding knives. Now if I were renovating my house or wanted hardwood moldings, I'd be all over that.

Thanks Rob, I was thinking about going for the 718 but I'm running out of space in my shop but I could always put it in the garage part that is not air conditioned. I actually was only interested in the molding option as I have a sander and small Makita planer but I could always use backup.

Seven Eighteen. It has wheels
    You won't regret it.
    Heck, I paid top dollah for mine and I never cringed in afterthought.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

You can also get four swivel casters with two way locks from Great lakes. My shop is SMALL, but with the four swivel casters, I can move the 718 around.

With a 5 hp motor, there is no comparision between the 718 and a lunchbox planer. You may get a finish that is a touch closer to finish on the lunchbox, but put a board close to it's max width and you can hear the motor wheeze. the 718, you can take 1/8 at it's max width and still have plenty of power left. It's a real professional tool. Don't get me wrong, there are times I pull out my lunchbox, but for the big work, or for the volume, it's the 718 w/o question.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    Thanks Rob, I was thinking about going for the 718 but I'm running out of space in my shop but I could always put it in the garage part that is not air conditioned. I actually was only interested in the molding option as I have a sander and small Makita planer but I could always use backup.
    for a molder it's pretty nice. there are lots of threads with people struggling to get decent results from it as a planer, which i think boils down to the fact that its rubber rollers, which are necessary for grip on moldings, just aren't stout enough to hold a board without vibration while planing. their spiral head eliminates this by giving you constant blade contact, but it isn't cheap, i paid 1000 for the one on my 718.

since you have another planer it'd be fine out of the box as a molder. it's also pretty nice to have a gang rip saw in your shop, cutting 16 foot blanks on a jointer and TS isn't exactly fun or safe.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 02-19-2009 at 3:03 PM.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    If I remember correctly, the 712 & 718 are the same length, and the 718 is about 6" wider. If I were THAT cramped for space, I'd get the 718 ( I did ), and get rid of SOMETHING to make room for it.