Thread: Help with motor wiring

Help with motor wiring

Have a Jet 2hp collector...diagram indicates 110 or 220 volts. Want to run on 110 volts until I get the shop rerwired.

Attached is drawing of diagram schematic.
    I wired one side of 110 to a screw attached to wires 1 and 3
    I wired the other side of the 110 to a screw attached to wires 2 and 4.
    New switch is dpds..pushbutton rated at 30 amps.
    Distance from breaker box is less than 25 feet.

Every time I hit the switch it trips the breaker.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Art! Your motor is probably wired just fine. The problem is trying to run a 2hp. motor on a 15A 110V circuit. Your motor probably draws over 20A on 110V. TOO much for your wall outlet circuit.

Since a dedicated 30A/110V circuit needs to be installed with 10ga wiring, you might as well wire up a 20A/220V circuit now, using 12ga wire for the distance you specify. Same effort, cheaper and better Results!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Art, I think Chip nailed it.

To be sure, check the dataplate on the motor. As a dual voltage motor it should list the amperage in the form X/Y where X is the 120v amps and Y is for 240v. I suspect the 120v amp draw is high enough that, like Chip said, you'll need to install something other than your normal 120v branch circuits which are commonly 15 amps and rarely, if ever, more than 20 amps.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

You may have the switch wired wrong. Some double pole switches switch from top to bottom and some switch from side to side. This is a manufacturer thing there is no standard.