Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biesmeyer Fence System

Biesmeyer Fence System

I'm in the market for a 50" biesmeyer fence system for my older delta unisaw. Any suggestions on a reasonable retailer for a new one or would you recommend finding a good used system?
    Also, has anyone used the Vega fence system? Does it compare to biesmeyer? Thanks

Here's a review of the different major systems with links to some additional reviews.

Table Saw Fence Buying Guide: Biesemeyer vs Unifence vs Vega vs Incra
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I've owned two Biesemeyers, a Shop Fox Classic, and a Vega Utility fence. All are nice fences. The Vega has an excellent microadjuster. My preference is for the Biese, which both came with the saws they were on. The fit and finish is super, and it works wonderfully, but it often sells at a hefty premium over the others. It's worth some extra to me, but not a lot. I could live with anyone of them, but if it boiled down to paying nearly full retail with out of pocket dollars, I'd probably lean toward the value of the Vega.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I am also like Scott. I have had the Biesemeyer and the Vega system, (I have a Biesemeyer that came on my cabinet saw that I have currently) I think both are quality fences but I really did like the micro adjuster that came on my Vega fence and also It has a factory push stick jig that runs on top of the fence that worked very well for ripping thin stock close to the blade and fence.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I've also owned both systems and prefer the Beis for my shop. The Vega fence is better suited to a hobby shop, but since my machines are in daily use I like the beefiness of the Beis.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goetz View Post
    I'm in the market for a 50" biesmeyer fence system for my older delta unisaw. Any suggestions on a reasonable retailer for a new one or would you recommend finding a good used system?
    Also, has anyone used the Vega fence system? Does it compare to biesmeyer? Thanks
    I'm picking up a new PM 66 on Monday that comes with the 52' Accu-fence and black powermatic extension table. I'm not even going to open the boxes unless I see a reason to. All will be for sale. I'm in Dallas TX, PM if interested.

Trace

Blog Entries
    The Biesemeyer is basic and built like a tank. The primary qualifying comments I can make about it is that I installed and aligned it 4 years ago, it has been off and on the rails a thousand times and iy is still exactly as it was when I originally aligned it.

At first I wondered about the lack of doo-dads for adjusting perpendicular alignment of the fence face to the table top. I now understand; once aligned, there is no need for adjustment.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What type of fence are you putting on the new saw?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Beard View Post
    I'm picking up a new PM 66 on Monday that comes with the 52' Accu-fence and black powermatic extension table. I'm not even going to open the boxes unless I see a reason to. All will be for sale. I'm in Dallas TX, PM if interested.

Trace

Incra TS III

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    What type of fence are you putting on the new saw?

Jason
    I'm going to put my incra ts III fence back on, I just love that fence.

I think the best fence ever built was the Parallock,but don't think they are made anymore.I had one down in Williamsburg for years. Bought it in the late 80's.It worked like a drafting rule,which is mounted on aircraft cables running underneath the table on pulleys. It wasn't cheap,cost about $400.00 IIRC. This fence would not move AT ALL when you clamped it down,and it locked on both ends.

I think you can still Google the name,but don't think they are made. They were in Portland,Oregon.

I have two Biesmeyers and one Unifence in my commercial shop. The unifence is a pain but good enough for how I use it, and the Biesmeyers have been adjusted the first time and are still right 17 years later. I do clamp a block on the back side when using a powerfeed, but I do not see this as an issue myself.

They exemplify the KISS principle.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have two Biesmeyers and one Unifence in my commercial shop. The unifence is a pain but good enough for how I use it, and the Biesmeyers have been adjusted the first time and are still right 17 years later. I do clamp a block on the back side when using a powerfeed, but I do not see this as an issue myself.

They exemplify the KISS principle.....

How is the Unifence a pain? I have that for my saw but have not put it to great use yet as its still new.

I can't comment on any of the fences except the Beisemeyer as it's the only one I've used. I bought one when they first came out (late 70's?) and it's still going strong along with the 70's Unisaw it's mounted on.

Thank You all for your input. It sounds like the biesmeyer is the fence of choice but the Vega is a close runner up. I guess I have some deciding to do. Thanks Again

Isn't the Sawstop fence a Bies clone? I don't know your location but check Sawmills classifieds.