Thread: need a new dust collector?

need a new dust collector?

I can drive three hours to wood craft and pay 369.99 for an 1 1/2 hp 1100 cfm jet

or

I can order a 2hp 1550 cfm shop fox from grizzly for 295 plus $69 shipping and save a total of 6 hours driving

I am leaning towards the shop fox. The filter doesn't matter because I am going to use the one from my 1100 cfm jet ( I still don't know why the motor burnt out) and grizzly has a back order on their 2 hp model

has any one herd anything good or bad about the shop fox 2hp dc?

Why not simply replace the motor?

I just got a penn state 1 1/2 hp "dustroyer" for $309 delivered. It has 1 micron bags and works great. the 2hp model with 1500cfm is $20 more
    Last edited by cushing jim randall; 02-21-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ellis View Post
    Why not simply replace the motor?
    a 2hp motor is $289 for a 3450 rpm 2 1/2 in shaft and a 1 1/2 hp 3450rpm 1.94" shaft is $199.

I did think of just getting the 1 1/2 hp motor and saving some money because all I had 1 1 1/2hp before but I am thinking a little bigger might be better or is it a waist if I only have 4" duct pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by cushing jim randall View Post
    I just got a penn state 1 1/2 hp "dustroyer" for $309 delivered. It has 1 micron bags and works great. the 2hp model with 1500cfm is $20 more
    is this the one your talking about. It is 2hp. if not what is the difference between this and the one you bought. this seems like a pretty good deal. Thanks for pointing me to penn state.

$279.952HP DC2000B Dust Collector with 1 Micron Bags
    Item #: DC2000B
    $279.95
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2000B.html

Keith, I got the 1029Z and I love it. it works better that I thought and not very loud
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post

Keith, I got the 1029Z and I love it. it works better that I thought and not very loud
    I was going that route till grizzly informed me that machine is on back order and they don't know when it will be in. Now I'm looking at a 2hp penn state with a 1 micron bag. its on sale for $279 plus $60 shipping.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-22-2009 at 9:21 AM.

I forgot if you order the PSI enter DVD10 and save $10.

I own the 2 HP Shop Fox, and I've also seen the Jet DC1100 in action. In my opinion, the SF pulls at least 50% more air. I did get a new top filter bag from American Fabric Filters to replace the 30 micron bag. The new one is oversized, so I use a garbage bag on the lower half. You can also get a retrofit canister from Wynn Environmental and many other places.

On the Clear Vue Cyclones page, they have a link to a story about the Harbor Freight 2 HP (on sale now for $179) that was converted with a filter from Wynn. I've never seen a HF run, but it looks much like my SF (and every other Chinese made DC). However, my impeller vibrated and then wouldn't come off the shaft for replacement, so SF sent me a whole new motor/impeller assy. I dounbt HF would do that for you.

FWIW, cleaning a cartridge has to be more pleasant than cleaning a bag. But whatever you do, go with 1 or 2 micron filtration. It makes a huge difference in the fine dust that gets on everything in the shop, which means that same dust was floating around in the air, and getting into lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post
    I own the 2 HP Shop Fox, and I've also seen the Jet DC1100 in action. In my opinion, the SF pulls at least 50% more air. I did get a new top filter bag from American Fabric Filters to replace the 30 micron bag. The new one is oversized, so I use a garbage bag on the lower half. You can also get a retrofit canister from Wynn Environmental and many other places.

On the Clear Vue Cyclones page, they have a link to a story about the Harbor Freight 2 HP (on sale now for $179) that was converted with a filter from Wynn. I've never seen a HF run, but it looks much like my SF (and every other Chinese made DC). However, my impeller vibrated and then wouldn't come off the shaft for replacement, so SF sent me a whole new motor/impeller assy. I dounbt HF would do that for you.

FWIW, cleaning a cartridge has to be more pleasant than cleaning a bag. But whatever you do, go with 1 or 2 micron filtration. It makes a huge difference in the fine dust that gets on everything in the shop, which means that same dust was floating around in the air, and getting into lungs.

Thanks for the info.

I looked into the harbor freight 2hp see as how i still have my canister filter set up. The told me there are none at the ware house or in my local store. If I can't get the pen state for 279 then shop fox is next.

be aware - Harbor freight DC is very noise.
    Ed.

Recently discussed - the DC's anyway.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104873

I'd get the DC, use the double 4" for now and when $$$ permits move to a 6" main trunk and use the 4" off that.
    BTW - those of us with the PSI love the things. As do the Grizz and Delta owners it seems. They all mighty close. See Wood mag, I think it was march '08 for reviews if you like garbled gobbly gook,