Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision - AI mk2 or LN chisels?

Decision - AI mk2 or LN chisels?

I'm thinking of changing my chisel set (tax return is burning a hole in my pocket) and so I'm asking for advice from my two favorite forums. I currently have the Ashley Iles bevel edge and while I like them, as many have said, the handles are large, and I would like smaller side bevels.

I'm trying to decide between the new Ashley Iles Mk2 and the Lie-Nielsens. I've seen some reviews that say that A2 is harder to sharpen and doesn't take as sharp an edge as O1. I've also never seen a review by anyone who had the LN's who didn't like them. Nor have I seen a review by anyone who had the Mk2's that didn't like them.

Is it pretty much a wash between these 2? Would I really notice a difference between them?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cliff

The trade off for any steel that stays sharp longer,is that it is harder to sharpen. There is a very small difference between the level opf sharpness that 01 or A2 will take. they will both get sharp enough to shave with,though the o1 will shave slightly easier. I submit that the first few cuts you take with the 01 will erase that slight extra edge. Start with a 220 diamond stone,then black,then white ceramic stones.Strop with Simichrome on leather,and they'll sharpen up quickly.

I think I recall someone saying they had a problem with the temper of the LN chisels (could have been the plane iron),but I'm sure that LN would replace any defective tool. They did replace a plane iron for me that was a few points below the hardness they stated.

I have made many tools from 01,now,I use A2 for most tools.

You will never regret the Lie-Nielsen set.

Couple of sets of LN for sale on "the bay."

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Couple of sets of LN for sale on "the bay."
    John,

Yes, I saw those. Thanks for the heads up. The 10 chisel set is way more than I'm looking for. The 5 chisel set has 6 days to go and from the bidding in just the first day, it will be interesting to see where it ends up.

May be a possibility. It will bear watching.

Cliff

Cliff, I should have said this earlier. I have not used the LN chisels, but they have a good following. However, I did recently purchase the Blue Spruce dovetail chisels, and they are fantastic. They are a little more expensive than the LN, but boy are they sweet. Very light, small handles, and very easy to use. Just a thought.

Cliff

I don't see a bad decision either way. Both chisel sets have been met with high regard from everyone that's bought/used them.
    I have the LN chisels with cocobolo handles, beautiful chisels, take a keen edge with no problem, and well made. The cocobolo handles looks great, but in all honesty, is not the chisel handle material for me. The chisels keep slipping off the cocobolo. Still, they are pretty.
    I'm going to try and make a set of handles out of some padauk, or bubinga in the spring.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Cocobolo is an oily wood. Bubinga is also,and not as pretty. Have you tried wrapping a thin sheet of paper around the tang part of the handle,and trimming the paper below where it would show,then hammering in the handles? Paper really holds slippery metal when I am milling it in the milling machine. The vise jaws are smooth,too,and paper works great. Maybe it would also work on the cocobolo.

Another idea: If you do not wish to get glue inside the sockets of your chisels,glue the paper around the tangs of the handles, Wrap it down tight with string,so no gaps result. Then,take the string off when the glue drys,and seat the handles home. That way,you haven't gotten glue into the sockets. You could go around the top area of the paper with a dark brown,or black ink marker to ensure that you don't see the top of the paper when installed.

LNs all the way

Cliff, put me in the camp of not having a bad thing to say about the LNs. I own several of their bevel-edge chisels and they are superb. I also own 3 of their mortise chisels and although I haven't used them as much they too work great. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their chisels.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

I own a set of A.I.'s, and am completely happy. They do everything I ask of them; I work those chisels pretty hard.

The L.N. look and sound like a great tool, and I am sure I would enjoy working with them. But, regardless of that, the A.I.'s have not disappointed.

Al

I love my AI sets.

George

I'll give the paper trick a whirl. I really like the look of the cocobolo handles, and if a thin sheet of paper was all I needed that would be great.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Cocobolo is an oily wood. Bubinga is also,and not as pretty. Have you tried wrapping a thin sheet of paper around the tang part of the handle,and trimming the paper below where it would show,then hammering in the handles?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I upgraded to the LNs from a set of blue handled Marples and the only negative thing was also the handles (the standard hornbeam) falling off. I finally put a drop of epoxy on them based on LNs webpage Use/Care info and haven't had a problem since. They take an edge better than the Marples and keep it a lot longer. The darn things get so sharp I've slid a couple into the leather tool roll and had them skewer through the leather with zero resistance. I've never used the AI so cant comment there. A number of folks that went to the Berea conference came back positively enthralled with some new chisels being made by Blue Sprice so those may be worth looking at too.
    Use the fence Luke

I assumed the LN chisel owners would not like to gunk up their sockets with epoxy. Also,from reading about the backs of backsaws coming loose,that were epoxied on,I am assuming that the epoxy might shock loose. If I was to glue in my handles,just glue,no paper,I think some Loctite might give a better bond. That stuff is sort on like rosin. I Loctited a threaded 5/8" vertical rod onto a metal lathe compound,which had no "T" slot to bolt the toolpost into. I used green loctite. It was the very devil to get loose when I needed to. From its texture,I could see it would have taken shock well.IIRC,the green loctite was the semi permanent type.

"I think I recall someone saying they had a problem with the temper of the LN chisels (could have been the plane iron),but I'm sure that LN would replace any defective tool. They did replace a plane iron for me that was a few points below the hardness they stated."

That was me - I have a set of 5 L-N bevel edge socket bench chisels that represent the very first sets that rolled off the line when they were introduced. These are a bit soft - the edge will roll when paring any reasonably hard wood. However, based on comments on this site and others, I have to think that my set was just new introduction hiccups, perhaps in the tempering. I'm certain L-N will replace them, I just haven't got around to it yet.

Personally, I would not bother attempting buy L-N items off of e-bay unless it's an unusual plane that doesn't see much demand (like a butt-mortise plane, for example). Someone esle has posted speculation that one of the reasons that L-N tools almost always fetch at least 80% of the retail price, and sometimes more than the new price, is that they can be shipped to another country without the duties/tariffs that a set directly from L-N would incur. If you live in this country (US), I'd think it'd be a lot better to pay the extra 10-20% and get a lifetime warranty.