Thread: Input on a Oneida Cylcone 4 sale

Input on a Oneida Cylcone 4 sale

It has been great help reading all the recent threads concerning the DC's that people are looking at. I came across this one on CL and was looking for some input. It is an Oneida 1 1/2hp, with internal(?) filters...any one care to give me some info on this... I have been considering the info from a recent thread about the PSI DC's listed for around $300 but am also curious about the cyclone/tempest models. I see PSI has models starting in the mid $600's with good warranty's on the motor, etc... Just looking for somewhere to start...
    As it is right now I have nothing, re:nada, zero, for dust collection, so I am looking to take the plunge. I have a large shop area but only looking to run one machine at a time, mostly turning and bandsaw use but there is a tablesaw, mitersaw and small planer that would benefit from a DC.
    Here is the link to the CL listing:
    http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/1027279009.html
    Thanks in advance for your insight.
    Allen

That was Oneida's first effort at a small-shop cyclone. There's two issues with it. First, cleaning the internal filter is somewhat difficult. Oneida later offered an external-filter version, and I believe a retrofit kit. However, the good thing about the internal filter is that it gives the machine a very small footprint. The other issue is that 1 1/2 HP isn't enough power to drive a big duct system with long runs. To minimize duct lengths, perhaps you station this mostly near the planer, and drag it to other machines if the need arises.

I love Oneida, but...

Internal filter??? What do you suppose happens when (not if) you forget to check the dust bin, and fill that thing clear full of planer chips? It's bad enough with a normally configured cyclone.

That being said, I'm a bit skeptical that this is a complete machine. I'd really want more info on that machine. In the photos, it looks to me like you could make a decent cyclone out of the parts that are there, but then you are just buying a kit.

Those can be converted to an external filter quite simply. Or you could convert it to outside exhaust. Some manipulation of the vortex finding tube (lengthening it) may be necessary, I don't know for sure.

If outside exhausting is okay, they I'd offer $300 or $400 and see if he bites. If not, I'd take a good hard look at whether the added cost to add external filters to this unit makes the deal workable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I love Oneida, but...

Internal filter??? What do you suppose happens when (not if) you forget to check the dust bin, and fill that thing clear full of planer chips? It's bad enough with a normally configured cyclone.

That being said, I'm a bit skeptical that this is a complete machine. I'd really want more info on that machine. In the photos, it looks to me like you could make a decent cyclone out of the parts that are there, but then you are just buying a kit.
    Steve... HellOOO... Think about it.
    I had an internal screen on my home grown cyclone and it did save my blower when I did exactly what you relate, overfill my collector.
    When I realized there were too many cuttings coming out of my planer while planing cedar boards, it was too late.
    Took me over 1/2 an hour, and over 100 gallons of cedar chips to clear out my system.
    But my blower didn't suck up a slug of chips and get damaged.
    So there is something to be said about internal filters, or screens, to protect the blower wheel.

But they require the main body of the cyclone be disassembled to clean them.
    Yep, one of Oneidas early designs. Outdated by the external filter systems.

That IS the whole thing. I had one, it worked well, and my son in law is still using it. I took the filter out, a real pain to change, and I ducted it outside. Never noticed any sawdust on the building. I'd pay about $400.

Rick Potter

I own one of those 1.5 HP models with the internal filter.

It worked great, however I became tired of cleaning the filter so I took it out and installed one of their external filters on it.

It still works great, although I have a small shop I do have the usuall machinery

- cabinet saw with excalibur overarm guard
    - shaper
    - Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer

The Oneida works great with them all........Rod.

My first Oneida cyclone was that model. Worked fine, but I did do as Rod and installed external filters. That unit is still in use at a friend's shop when I upgraded to a 2hp Commercial. That said, the CL listing is way over priced. I sold mine in "mint" condition with a bunch of duct work for $400 in 2004. $300-350 tops would be my suggestion for that one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    Steve... HellOOO... Think about it.
    I had an internal screen on my home grown cyclone and it did save my blower when I did exactly what you relate, overfill my collector.
    When I realized there were too many cuttings coming out of my planer while planing cedar boards, it was too late.
    Took me over 1/2 an hour, and over 100 gallons of cedar chips to clear out my system.
    But my blower didn't suck up a slug of chips and get damaged.
    So there is something to be said about internal filters, or screens, to protect the blower wheel.

But they require the main body of the cyclone be disassembled to clean them.
    Yep, one of Oneidas early designs. Outdated by the external filter systems.

Hey Sonny, I did this twice in one weekend, so I'm quite familier with what this does to my DC. It fills the barrel, then the cyclone part way, then the filter about 1/3 full, then you notice that the airflow is down. Next come the fun part. You can guess. You'd sure think I'd learn... BTW, it'd have to be a pretty massive chunk of something to damage the impeller in my machine, no screen needed I don't think.

Interesting that this is the whole thing. Learn something every day!