Thread: The Woodworking Show Boston: Review

The Woodworking Show Boston: Review

Just got back from the WW show in Boston, which is actually in Marlborough about 45 minutes west of Boston. Overall the turnout seemed rather weak. Talking with a good amount of the reps, they were disappointed and appeared pretty bummed out about turnout and the facility, in particular lack of parking and advertisement. One rep (that I won't name) didn't even bother giving me a speal about his product, but did ask "How long do you think it will take me to get to the airport tomorrow?" I think that gives a little insight into the atmosphere there.

Not too many great deals to be had, I've actually seens a lot of items for sale cheaper on the web than at the show, for example, Forrest blades, Kreg products, and a variety of clamps.

Watched a shop jig presentation by Jim Heavey from wood mag, he was enthusiastic and covered some basic jigs; cross cut sleds, miter jig, tapering jig, not too much new and geared more to new woodworkers than intermedaite/advanced. Also watched part of "the hand tool rodeo", it covered basic types and uses, not really too much new there either.

Overall I would be surprised if this show was back in this area next year. Reps were excited about a good turnout in Kansas City, but it sounds like some other cities were a disappointment also.

Just thought I would throw my two cents out there. I'm interested if other people have visited the show and have similar thoughts.

WW Show

Here in the Houston area they have moved it from Astrohall to a community center in the Katy area.I think it will be here sometimes in March.At lease won't have to pay 8.00 to park.Have not been to the last 3 shows,each one was worst than the previous as reported by others.Like you were saying,there are no deals and selections is at a minimum.

I'd say lack of advertising is to blame.

I live not too far from Marlborough and didn't even know about it.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Porter View Post
    Just got back from the WW show in Boston, which is actually in Marlborough about 45 minutes west of Boston. Overall the turnout seemed rather weak. Talking with a good amount of the reps, they were disappointed and appeared pretty bummed out about turnout and the facility, in particular lack of parking and advertisement. One rep (that I won't name) didn't even bother giving me a speal about his product, but did ask "How long do you think it will take me to get to the airport tomorrow?" I think that gives a little insight into the atmosphere there.

Not too many great deals to be had, I've actually seens a lot of items for sale cheaper on the web than at the show, for example, Forrest blades, Kreg products, and a variety of clamps.

Watched a shop jig presentation by Jim Heavey from wood mag, he was enthusiastic and covered some basic jigs; cross cut sleds, miter jig, tapering jig, not too much new and geared more to new woodworkers than intermedaite/advanced. Also watched part of "the hand tool rodeo", it covered basic types and uses, not really too much new there either.

Overall I would be surprised if this show was back in this area next year. Reps were excited about a good turnout in Kansas City, but it sounds like some other cities were a disappointment also.

Just thought I would throw my two cents out there. I'm interested if other people have visited the show and have similar thoughts.

Just got back from the WW show in Boston, which is actually in Marlborough about 45 minutes west of Boston.
    Having traveled extensively throughout New England, I feel obliged to report the town is actually Mah-brah.

At least it was the last time I pahked mah cah fah lunch on the way to Woo-stah.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

i didnt even know it it either. wus up wit dat.

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

I only found out about it by chance from a friend that was going. Considering I live about 20 minutes from marlbarah (as scott pointed out) you would think there would have been some sort of local advertising.

I went yesterday for a few hours, and I thought it was a pretty good turnout. The parking right at the trade building is only moderately sized - the fact that they parked the semi trailer and other trucks/trailers from the reps right at the door was great for marketing, bad for everyone that had to park up the street (~ 200 yards) and walk. The crowd inside was enough so that many of the demo areas were pretty well attended and yet I still had to work my way through a crowd.

As for deals - I didn't really look that closely at a lot of stuff, but the things I did seemed pretty in-line with prices online. I got a few things at PeachTree - some for about the same price as online, a couple that were marginally cheaper. One item I know I could have gotten for less at Amazon, but I got it simply for the convenience. I bought some clamps that were roughly what I could have gotten them for online - but again, convenience. they did have a special on

I thought about going again today, but I ended up on kid duty.

I knew about it because I got a flyer in the mail. saved me $2 off admisison, and parking was free, so I suppose it wasn't that bad.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I went to the Kansas City show (have for the last 8 years) and was suprised at the turnout. Last year's attendance was down and I was expecting the same this year.

Lots of people standing on lines at the cashiers areas. as well as crowds at all the demos.Watched Jim Heavey's demos and was able to visit with him afterwards and asked some questions - heck of a nice guy.

I even dragged my 10 year old son to the show. He was pretty sure he was going to be bored until we got there. He had a blast and a few of the people doing demos stopped and talked to him as well. Now he can't wait until the show comes next year - putting the bug in him early!

I spent about $300 on dust collection parts, new set of lathe tools and a magnetic grip / featherboard outfit.

I'd have to say if turnout was bad it was the shows fault. I also didn't know anything about it, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway, but it's always nice to know if a show is around.
    JeffD

I was at the show on Saturday AM. At that time there was a fairly good size crowd, but I would agree there were really no deals to be had. Given the state of the economy, I was really quite surprised. I expected to spend some dough, but ended up not spending a dime. As was stated earlier, most of the goods offered could be found on the internet for less.

WoodWorking Show in Columbus

I have the same opinion as Jack wrt the Woodworking show here in Columbus. It gets smaller and smaller every year. It used to fill the building at the fairgrounds but now may only fill 60%. It seemed to me that it was dominated by the Peachtree display and several other general woodworking stores. Really, how many places need to sell router bits at these shows?? It's not like the old days 5-10 years ago where most of the major equipment manufacturers were there and a good portion of niche tool vendors. Even the PC/Dewalt booth was mostly small power tools. The Epilog laser display was unstaffed when I was there. It was the one thing I was really looking towards seeing. I think I'm done going to the local show.

Brian