Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router table dust collection

1. router overheating

Hey all,
    First post here - been lurking for awhile.

Anyway, I had heard that putting a dust port under the router table can be problematic if it is poorly placed because it will suck out all the cooling air the router uses to cool the motor. I'm not too sure of the details and would like to know more.

Anyone care to elaborate on this? What configuration would be a no-no?

Thanks
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin McCarthy View Post
    Hey all,

Anyway, I had heard that putting a dust port under the router table can be problematic if it is poorly placed because it will suck out all the cooling air the router uses to cool the motor. I'm not too sure of the details and would like to know more.

Thanks
    Justin
    I would think any heat the router makes would be sucked away with the cooling air! It should help the router run cooler. Perhaps dust could be a problem, since you are pulling it around that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin McCarthy View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks
    Justin
    The air that is pulled out of the enclosure is replaced by air flowing in from outside the enclosure unless the enclosure is hermetically sealed. If there's enough flow to pick up and carry the dust away, there's plenty to supply the router motor with cooling air. Air inside the enclosure will be exchanged many times per minute.

If there's a problem with cooling, it's likely due to the router motor pulling dust laden air through it's cooling vents and, eventually, clogging it's insides with dust buildup. Plan your installation so that the air flowing past the router's air intake is relatively dust free and you should have no problems. For one approach to that solution see my previous post with pictures of my installation.

Hmmm, just saw Eric's post and seems I did little more than repeat what he said.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Blog Entries
    As others have said; urban legend.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Poor man's router table dust collection

Just adding my thoughts to the need for above table AND below table dust collection

Before I added the under table hole for my central DC to connect to I only had the top hooked up to the shop vac.... HUGE difference in dust in the air as well as on the workpiece once I added the under table cabinet collection.

Nothing new here (in fact done quite a bit worse than some of the other pics I saw here... but just confirming their statements.

George