Thread: Potential Dewalt DW788 Gloat

Talking Potential Dewalt DW788 Gloat

I just picked up a Dewalt DW788 scroll saw today off of Craigslist and wanted to see if I could track down the vintage. The seller really did not know what they had or much about the saw, and I picked it up for $75 (But I had to drive almost 300 miles round trip to pick it up so I am actaully looking at about $100 total including gas). The saw came with a stand, worklight, and stool. The only things that I can see wrong with it is the hold down is missing (which I never use anyway) and the table needs work as it has been setting under an open car port for some time. I got it home tonight and put a blade in it and fired it up and it cut as good as the one I have in my shop right now. I remember finding a site a while back that broke down the location where it was manufactured (Canadian of overseas) by serial number, but I can't seem to locate it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I think that I got a pretty good deal, and was just curious about how old it is....

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide...

Jim

Jim,

Look on the motor, below the model number. If it is a type 1, then it is Canadian made. At least that's how I remember it. By the way, great score.

Jim

What kind of car do you drive??? You went 300 miles for $25.00?
    Epilog mini 24 with 45 watts
    X3
    More wood working tools then I deserve

It is a Type 1, which I thought to be of Canadian vintage. The person I bought it from told me he only had it a "few" months, but when I saw it I suspected it to be older (which is fine by me....). Once I get the table cleaned up, I expect that I may take this as my primary scroll saw in my shop and my current unit will be relagated to the craft show circuit. I had planned on the one that I just picked up being the one that I carried around with me, but if it is of Canadian vintage, It may turn out to be better than the one that I have now..... Ya just never know.

Thad, I drive a 2003 Chevy Blazer that gets 21 - 22 mpg. Gas around us right now is going for ~$1.70 a gallon, so I actually rounded it up a bit as the tank cost me under $25...

Jim