Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting tools in the Basement...

I haven't moved any woodworking equipment into a basement, but I have moved a LOT of pianos. (from 600 to 1200 lb). Since the first trip will be down, if you have a straight shot, it shouldn't be bad. As Keith mentioned, you'll want a skid board. That will keep the device from hanging up on the steps as you progress down. You need a winch, or 4 guys strapped to the skid board control the speed of descent! The guys can be staggered, more or less like a tug of war, but each gets their own strap (2-3 inch nylon webbing) of various lengths to stagger it. Basement piano moves are the most challenging, and I've worked it out with on paper and/or a full mock up prior to the move. Put together a cardboard box of the same dimension, and see how it can slide, scoot, tilt and turn through the maze that is your route to your basement. Then you'll have the plan, or determine its not possible before getting a 600 lb machine half way!

Where are you? Can I come over and help? Sounds like fun!
    Duane McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Froehlich View Post
    Hello SMCreek-ers!

The tools I have my sights set on are the SawStop and an 8" jointer.

-Allan

First of all... nice starter tools

Now for the part you don't want to hear. I just moved my PM66 out of the basement and into a truck with four guys. Heavy but doable.

Then I was moving my new (to me) Sawstop down into basement (one stair outside). We put 2 X4 under the tables and had five of us lifting. (one on end and four on the four corners of the 2 X 4). Four out of five of us (ie them) were young and in shape.

I go through the above to tell you this is NOT what you want to do. It was VERY heavy. At the end of the day 685 lbs / 4 is "only" 170lbs a piece.... but it is dead / akward weight.

If I had to do it all over again (and I will some day... which is why I need to make more friends) I would probably bite the bullet and take off wings AND table top cast iron. Try to leave the motor in and if I remember correctly this brings you down to 385lbs on the Sawstop. I think that is well in the range of an appliance dolly if it would fit.

Keep us informed on what you do. Irrespective of what method you decide on, I am busy that day

I'll add to my short statement about buying an appliance dolly. I was on my iPhone at lunch when I wrote it.

I moved all my equipment down into my basement through he bilco door which, for the most part, was not too difficult. Still not fun. Well, since I installed a large Warn winch on the front of my jeep, I now strap the equipment to the appliance dolly, then the winch to the appliance dolly. I have a remote control for the winch which makes it a breeze.

This easily pulls the equipment out of the basement as well. Of course, larger equipment can require a skid like device to slide it up and down the steps like others mentioned.

Find somebody with a winch or invest in one for your vehicle. Could be worth the price if you intend to pay somebody to move the equipment.
    chris

Set the tools up in the garage and have fun.
    When you move, buy a shop. House is an optional extra.
    Ideal to me would be a big shop building, that I could set up the shop in, and build a house in one end to live in.
    Everything under one roof. Pay taxes on land with a "barn" on it. No visible house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    Ideal to me would be a big shop building, that I could set up the shop in, and build a house in one end to live in.
    Everything under one roof. Pay taxes on land with a "barn" on it. No visible house.
    Sonny, I have to say, I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!
    Duane McGuire

What Sonny Said! USE THAT GARAGE! My autos have never seen a garage! My tools and machinery are worth more than they are! IF we had known you had a garage, the basement would be a Moot Point!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

You all will love this!

My friend has a Jeep with a 1.5 ton winch on the front with a 50ft cable! He insisted that he helps!

Quote Originally Posted by George Lohnes View Post
    I go through the above to tell you this is NOT what you want to do. It was VERY heavy. At the end of the day 685 lbs / 4 is "only" 170lbs a piece.... but it is dead / akward weight.

If I had to do it all over again (and I will some day... which is why I need to make more friends) I would probably bite the bullet and take off wings AND table top cast iron. Try to leave the motor in and if I remember correctly this brings you down to 385lbs on the Sawstop. I think that is well in the range of an appliance dolly if it would fit.

Keep us informed on what you do. Irrespective of what method you decide on, I am busy that day
    I'm thinking the sled will be best, but I had planned on a partial disassemble all along.

I have a bit of a problem with the garage: it's not mine! Even at that, the garage is for fixing my car. I've already pushed my welcome with automotive tools.

I do plan on renting a shop once I have a little more income.

I also like the way you think!

My ideal house has an exposed basement, 12-foot ceilings, one half for woodworking, the other half for cars. I think I'll have something on the main floor...maybe a kitchen or bathroom?

BTW- I recently graduated from college and I found out that I am in high-demand around Milwaukee!

I sometimes thing that I will end up renting a cheap apartment and end up with a really nice shop in the near future.

As for now, I want these tools in the basement at my dad's because he is planning on having me build multiple pieces of furniture, wainscoting in his dining room, and possibly full recessed wood paneling in his family room.

BTW- I'm looking at a Grizzly 8" jointer with the spiral cutterhead. My 1970s Craftsman just isn't cutting it lately (pun intended).

Make sue your stairs don't collapse with all the weight of machine,plus men. that weight can build up in a hurry. You might want to reinforce the stairs if they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller 303 View Post
    Keith,

You have some great ideas, but wench???

According to Dictionary.com

Wench - noun
    1. A country lass or working girl.
    2. A girl or young woman
    3. A strumpet.

I'm pretty sure you were referring to a winch.

That does remind me of a time when I was looking to buy a Jeep. As I was flipping thru the cartrader magazine, I came across a photo of a nice looking Jeep with a cute girl in bikini hanging off the rollbar. Looking down at the description, it said, "Wench included"............I immediately called.

Doug
    Ok so I can't spell well but a wench in the basement isn't always a bad idea.

Now moving a jointer I have experience with!

Of course, my experience was my brother-in-law and I thinking "this thing is SO heavy and such mass that it will NEVER move in the UHAUL we had rented (picked up saw same time).

Well... long story short.... 3 hours later my son is in the basement trying to find some paint that is the same color as the orange on the UHAUL truck since the edge of the jointer went straight through the side of the truck on a bumpy turn and we were trying to mask the damage.

Brother-in-law and I are now referred to as Dumb and Dumber at family occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by George Lohnes View Post
    Now moving a jointer I have experience with!

Brother-in-law and I are now referred to as Dumb and Dumber at family occasions.
    Oh, I wouldn't be near that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Froehlich View Post
    You all will love this!

My friend has a Jeep with a 1.5 ton winch on the front with a 50ft cable! He insisted that he helps!
    I use it because it's another reason to use the winch. Not just for pulling people out of mud or ditches.
    chris

Oh, I wouldn't be near that nice.
    Well Sonny, if you're not getting invited to many functions lately, that may explain it.

Regards, Rod.