Thread: dust collector size. more help please!

dust collector size. more help please!

I am torn between the 1 1/2 half hp and the 2 hp penn state. I was just told they may have a scratch and dent 1 1/2 they can send me but I really wanted the 2hp. The 2hp was only $279 as opposed to $259 for the 1 1/2 but I have not been given the price on the 1 1/2 hp scratch and dent.

he is calling me back so i need to decide now.

2hp or 1 1/2 hp?

More help please! I know its boring and its a subject thats been beat to death.

120V circuit: 1.5 Hp. 220V circuit: 2 Hp.

If the impellers are the same size, both will pull the same amount of air and will use the same amount of electricity. One will just have a slightly bigger motor (excess capacity).

If the impellers are not the same size, the larger impeller will provide more air flow and more suction.

While it is possible to move into the "design overkill" realm with any tool, you aren't anywhere close with these two machines. Bigger is better in this range.

In order to really be of any actual help, I'd need to know the exact models so static pressures could be compared.
    The CFM will be fairly close to each other. So the one that pulls the highest inches of water column would be the better unit.

IMO, if it's really only a $20 difference between the machines, it's a no-brainer. Go with the bigger DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    In order to really be of any actual help, I'd need to know the exact models so static pressures could be compared.
    The CFM will be fairly close to each other. So the one that pulls the highest inches of water column would be the better unit.
    I just looked at the Penn State website. There's a surprising difference between the 1.5 and 2 HP models. The 2HP model pulls an inch higher static pressure and more than 50% greater CFM.

Rob - they are not remotely close in real world shop applications. Ask me how I know that

The PSI 2000 2hp w/ bags ............or look to Delta or elsewhere in a 1.5hp would be my recommendation.

the decision was made for me by penn state.

I still have my canister filter and bag setup from my jet dc.

Penn state just sold me the motor and blower from a dc2v2 (thats the 1 1/2 hp) for $165 and $37 shipping.

Thanks for answering so quickly but I couldn't pass up the savings. it $137 less than I would have had to spend on there 2hp dc.

8. Dust Collection Design Guide

You might want to take a look at http://www.airhand.com/designing.asp. This is an excellent guide if you want to install a dust collection system now that you have made your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    the decision was made for me by penn state.

I still have my canister filter and bag setup from my jet dc.

Penn state just sold me the motor and blower from a dc2v2 (thats the 1 1/2 hp) for $165 and $37 shipping.

Thanks for answering so quickly but I couldn't pass up the savings. it $137 less than I would have had to spend on there 2hp dc.
    Keith,

Based on Joel's comment above - you might want to see if he can expound on why there is so much difference between the 2 machines based on what appears to be "real world" experience.

I know you just saved $137, but if you get the smaller DC and discover it really won't work for you, then you've wasted money.

Just a thought.

Think the trigger was pulled on it

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Keith,

Based on Joel's comment above - you might want to see if he can expound on why there is so much difference between the 2 machines based on what appears to be "real world" experience.

I know you just saved $137, but if you get the smaller DC and discover it really won't work for you, then you've wasted money.

Just a thought.
    Good thought. My logic was that I had a 1 1/2 horse dc from jet before and it seemed to do what I wanted. I can't see the penn state 1 1/2 hp dc being much different. The 2hp may or may not have been better with my 4" duct but I was looking at saving 40% so I jumped on it.