Thread: What is a Stanley 720 Chisel?

What is a Stanley 720 Chisel?

What is the difference betewwn the various Stanley chisel models? I picked up a 1" No. 720 at a yard sale for a buck without a handle and with some small pitting that I had to lap out. I have watched various discussions about 750s and Defiance models but I don't have a good understanding of which is which and don't know where 720s fit into the mix. Is there a resource somewhere that describes the different models?

Thanks in advance,

HB

720's were Stanley's paring chisel line. They are longer versions of the 750.

I have several 720's and they are really nice
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Charles,

Thanks for the info. Makes sense as the chisel I have is pleasingly thin in profile and comfortable in the hand.

Mark,

Yeah, I like the feel. I have a couple of Witherbys that I have picked up here and there and now the 720. I have been setting them up and using them for bench paring tasks, and as I said above, I chose this Stanley for the feel in my hand. The down side to the pleasing feel is that I spent a LONG time lapping out the pits and fixing a really bad bevel grind. It works like a dream now though. Still a couple of rather artistic stains on the front side.

Thanks,

HB