Thread: Table Saw Advice: JessEm Mast-R-Slide vs. Incra MITER5000 Miter 5000

Table Saw Advice: JessEm Mast-R-Slide vs. Incra MITER5000 Miter 5000

I am getting ready to buy I new cabinet saw (a unisaw) and was seriously thinking of getting a sliding attachment to the saw.

Does anyone have any experience with either the JessEm Mast-R-Slide vs. the Incra MITER5000 Miter 5000 Table Saw Miter Gauge with Sled and Telescoping Fence?

The Incra is certainly more affordable...

I'm not expecting to use these on large ply.

Thanks,

Dell

I have used both. I bought the master slide. I had some issues with the table being flat and even more issues with their "customer service". It all worked out in the end and now I am very satisfied with it.

I do not think the Incra is in the same class with the sliding table. If you decide to go that way I would just build a really nice sled and buy another Incra miter gauge. I love Incra's products and have their fence on my table saw and my router table. Just wanted you to know I'm not biased against their stuff I just think the 5000 is a bit overpriced for basically a sled.

If you can afford the Jessem go for it. I do still use my miter gauge for most angle cuts though.

Good luck.

Dell,
    I own, and use both on my saw. The Jessem is excellent for all my cross cutting needs, and the fence comes on and off really easily. However, it is not very good for setting up repeatable angled cuts for anything that requires a high amount of acuracy. Thats where the Incra comes in. Perfect angle cuts. I attach the sled to the Jessem as well as use the mitre slot, for a very smooth action. To choose one over the other would depend upon what kind of work you do primarily. for cabinetry I would give priority to the Jessem. For segmented work, the Incra.
    Jonathan

Does cutting off your rail bother you? If it doesnt then get a Jessum.

Do not need to cut the rails off. Only need to shift them to the right. Actually gives you more cut width to the right of the blade.

John

I have the M5k sled. Incra makes great stuff...I also have their fence on my TS and one of their fence systems for my router table...and lottsa marking rulers.

The sled is a bit pricey but I like it quite a bit however one of these days I still want to build myself a really nice crosscut sled for the table saw. The angle miter gauge is top notch from Incra.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thats true you could shift it but are the holes predrilled for the rails? I think you would have to add some length to your table if you want more ripping capacity to the right of the blade. You have to support that fence with something. Andy

The Incra fence sits on the Incra rails, Andy, and the rails just slide within the brackes that hold the rails to the saw top; it is really easy to slide the rails over. If you have really long rails, you might need to add some legs for support.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think something got lost in translation. I was commenting on the rails of the unisaw fence. I was responding to Johns comments about sliding the front rail to the right instead of cutting it off to mount the Jessum slider.

vs. for safety sake.

To be honest with you, I'm looking for something to help me for safety purposes. I've had a few bad experiences, and I want as much help passing wood across the blade and decreasesing kickback and kick-up (off the table upward). I've seen some down pressure wheels that attach to the fence I plan on purchasing, but I hope to get a sliding table to help also.

Does this help?

Thanks!

Dell

11. I have the Jessem, and I think it's an excellent product. Much better than using a sled type device.

Dell I not sure that either of these pieces of equipment you would use rollers with. The rollers should be used when ripping with the fence, so I guess I dont know what your last post is about. If you use a riving knife behind the plade that would eliminate a lot of kickback issues. If you use rollers against your fence when you crosscut you may end up pinching the wood against the fence and blade.