Thread: How tall is the Ridgid OSS when in storage?

How tall is the Ridgid OSS when in storage?

I am building a few cubbies to store benchtop tools. Currently, I don't have a Rigid OSS but plan to get one soon. Hence my question: how tall is it when not in use but stored?

Matthias

Matthias,

13 1/2 if your ambitious.
    If your lazy like me, you know , so its ready to plug in and use right
    of the shelf...18 1/2 inches.

Hope this helps.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

With the sanding belt installed, it's 19". I didn't take the sanding belt off mine to measure the height and don't remember whether it goes flush with the table when you do take it off. If so, the table is 13.5" high.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

sander

with the belt removed, the table is now the highest part, so the last post of 13.5 should be correct, but I'm not at home to measure mine. You might lose an additional 1/4"-3/8 if you removed the rubber feet (which tend to fall off anyway) if you're barely trying to fit it in an already built cabinet or something.

It's not time consuming or difficult to put the belt/spindle assembly on, but I would find it annoying to have to do every time I wanted to use it. Seems like when it's ready to go on a bench, I use it all the time. When it's not, I end up using less appropriate methods to avoid the hassle. Just my take on it in a small shop.

Andy

A friend who is very organized has a novel, very efficient way of storing his unit. He mounted the sander to a piece of 3/4" plywood that is perhaps 10 or 12" wider and maybe 6" deeper than the foot print of his sander.
    He built his under-counter storage with a full-depth dado in the side panels to accept the 3/4" plywood base and just slides it into the dados and out of sight. A good alternative would be an open drawer with full-length heavy duty slides.
    Bear in mind that the sander weighs 50 lbs (quite heavy), has hand grasps molded into the sides just below the table and is a bit off-balance weight-wise. I suggest you consider carefully at what height you store it to make it as easy as possible to store and remove and save yourself back strain etc
    It's a great tool.