Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop posting craigslist ads.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stop posting craigslist ads.

My gripe:

You see these posts both in the Deals and Discounts forum, as well as the General Woodworking forum.

WHY??

If someone is looking for old tools, or tools in general, let them do the leg work. You are NOT helping anyone out by screwing over a guy who is looking, on his own, for deals on craigslist, ebay, etc.

Put it this way, if you had your eye on a tool or machine, and someone started posting url's of the add along with pictures, would you be happy?

End gripe.

All I can say is....

I totally agree.

“Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

This very topic has been under discussion by the Moderators since yesterday .

I don't think you or anyone else has a "right" to any of these items. I understand that it's disappointing to be crouched, ready to snap up some item when the seller gets tired of waiting and have someone else willing to pay the asking price jump on it. I think it is a great service to post these deals. I am not going to haunt the Craig's listings for an area five states from me, but there are items that might get me to drive that far if the price was right. If I ever have to sell something on Craigslist, please God post it here, there, and everywhere because I need the money. I'm sure many of the folks selling their goods on Craigs would feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I don't think you or anyone else has a "right" to any of these items
    I was not implying that

I understand that it's disappointing to be crouched, ready to snap up some item when the seller gets tired of waiting and have someone else willing to pay the asking price jump on it.
    In general, I agree. I did not make this post for that reason, personally. More on the principal of the matter, that I precieve.
    I think it is a great service to post these deals. I am not going to haunt the Craig's listings for an area five states from me, but there are items that might get me to drive that far if the price was right. If I ever have to sell something on Craigslist, please God post it here, there, and everywhere because I need the money.
    Right, you need the money. And someone looking for a good deal is possibly trying to save some money or buy an item they have had their eye one.
    I'm sure many of the folks selling their goods on Craigs would feel the same.
    While that may be, I am not making this thread to talk about how a seller benefits from it. If they wanted it posted on this site, let THEM do it.

I really appreciate the Ebay and Craigslist postings in the Deals and Discounts forum. It is the place I visit several times a day after I visit the Classifieds forum. I don't have the time to do all of the searching and thank those that help me out in that area. I haven't purchased anything through the Ebay and Craigslist posts but it gives me a chance to buy if I find something I need or want that I would otherwise miss.
    PLEASE do not put a stop to the listings.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I really appreciate the Ebay and Craigslist postings in the Deals and Discounts forum. It is the place I visit several times a day after I visit the Classifieds forum. I don't have the time to do all of the searching and thank those that help me out in that area. I haven't purchased anything through the Ebay and Craigslist posts but it gives me a chance to buy if I find something I need or want that I would otherwise miss.
    PLEASE do not put a stop to the listings.
    I'm with David. I thought part of the reason for this forum was to help each other. I think many folks have been tipped off to items they might otherwise have missed.

If someone was waffling long enough for a post on SMC to be seen by a member, and long enough for that member contact the seller and still even long enough for that member to come to an agreement with the seller, then the waffler just wasn't really that interested; just irritated that someone more decisive got the deal while they were fooling around.

I see the postings as a service.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm with David. I thought part of the reason for this forum was to help each other. I think many folks have been tipped off to items they might otherwise have missed.

If someone was waffling long enough for a post on SMC to be seen by a member, and long enough for that member contact the seller and still even long enough for that member to come to an agreement with the seller, then the waffler just wasn't really that interested; just irritated that someone more decisive got the deal while they were fooling around.

I see the postings as a service.
    Posting about CL items can bite you too. I wouldn't think twice about grabbing an item that someone was asking questions about if it was something that had the right mix of want, need, and location.

Posting about CL items can bite you too. I wouldn't think twice about grabbing an item that someone was asking questions about if it was something that had the right mix of want, need, and location.
    Yes, there is that risk but I think it is small and in the end, if you did that, would anyone really know? The person posting about the craigslist item would just have to assume he wasn't fast enough. Some deals simply don't last...we all know this.

For example, I found a craigslist SawStop TS for sale. I really wanted it. I also found the exact same ad on eBay (guy was hedging his bets putting his ad in two places) but after discussions with LOML, it wasn't going to happen. Only then did I post it in D&D. Yes, I was selfish in not posting about it since I was an interested party at the time but after I became disinterested, I decided to broadcast it.

Now certainly some other Creeker could have found the exact same info I did and he could have made plans to get the saw and my posting to SMC may have messed it up for him as it could have potentially brought in more competition. To that I have to say, "Sorry and oh well!" That scenario may well have happend but I've no clue if it did. I feel that if I can't have the deal, I'd like to try and see if a fellow Creeker might benefit from it. I have a feeling that is likely why most Creekers post such items. That is how I got my veneer from a guy in Indiana...and I'm grateful for the information.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Yes, there is that risk but I think it is small and in the end, if you did that, would anyone really know?
    Ah, here is my problem in understanding what this is all about. The scenario presented is that member "A" asks about a great deal on a Northfield jointer in my area. Instead of answering him, I jump in the car and go buy it right out from under him.

My confusion stems from the fact that I would have never seen this as a possible problem because I would it would never have occurred to me to do something sooo wrong. No one would do that, would they? My upbringing frequently makes me look like a naive goof because I just don't think that way. The fact that this problem exists (or that we think it does) is so sad.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Ah, here is my problem in understanding what this is all about. The scenario presented is that member "A" asks about a great deal on a Northfield jointer in my area. Instead of answering him, I jump in the car and go buy it right out from under him.

My confusion stems from the fact that I would have never seen this as a possible problem because I would it would never have occurred to me to do something sooo wrong. No one would do that, would they? My upbringing frequently makes me look like a naive goof because I just don't think that way. The fact that this problem exists (or that we think it does) is so sad.
    Glenn, I was brought up with the same ethics. I would never knowingly usurp someone like that and I don’t think many Creekers would.

Besides, there’ll never be a great deal on a Northfield jointer in Albuquerque anyway.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

By posting pointers to the listings, you're helping the person selling the item and you're also helping someone looking for that item who hasn't seen the listing. More information is better. The Internet is an example of that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

13. I thought the purpose here, especially at SMC, was to help people, and maybe save them some headache and money. Maybe I just don't understand your complaint. Someone stepped on your toes when you wanted to buy something and you are upset? I have found some great deals/ads posted here and at other forums. Some I have been able to benefit from, and others I was too late to the table. But such is life. Everything works out. It will all be okay. Have a great day, and enjoy life. Regards, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson View Post
    I thought the purpose here, especially at SMC, was to help people, and maybe save them some headache and money.
    Yes
    Maybe I just don't understand your complaint.
    I thought I did a fair job at expressing it

Someone stepped on your toes when you wanted to buy something and you are upset?
    No

I have found some great deals/ads posted here and at other forums. Some I have been able to benefit from, and others I was too late to the table.
    Ok. Me too

But such is life. Everything works out. It will all be okay.
    ??

Have a great day, and enjoy life. Regards, Bill
    Same to you!

Posting such links is what's best for the group as a whole. I don't even think that's arguable. If you get outbid it is by a person that wants it more than you do, as evidenced by his willingness to pay more. The seller of course is happier. The group is happier.

Not wanting this information posted is selfish at its best and collusive at its worst.