Thread: lights ....... again

lights ....... again

I need to purchase some replacement fixtures for the shop. I currently have 8' two bulb T12 fluorescent Slim-line fixtures that were installed by the previous owner. They are arranged in two continuous rows on the 14' ceiling in one area and by chain in the other area at about the same height under a 24' ceiling.

I have gone back and forth on what is the best way to upgrade the lights. My first thought was to install a series of 4' 6 bulb T8 fixtures (some are called high bay) around the shop -- but now that I have lived with the space for a while I believe the strip of lights provides a more balanced light throughout the shop.

I replaced a few of the ballasts in the old fixtures but now a few more are going and replacing them all makes no economic sense - they are of different types and poorly installed. When I went looking for 8' T8 fixtures they seem to be rare -- someone told me that the 8' T8 bulbs sold at HD/ Lowes are intended to replace T12s in fixtures that have universal ballasts that originally were supplied with T12s ??? I do not know if this is accurate. And that the 4' bulbs are the way to go ???

So it looks like most 8' fixtures are really 4 - 4' T8 bulbs. It is very difficult to get accurate information on all of this. While looking this morning I came across these on e-bay #130229115668 - they use 6 HO bulbs and also have a reflector. This may be just the ticket for a little more light.

So after a this long post!

Has anybody installed fixtures with reflectors that can now comment on if they worked better?

Can anyone comment on 5000k vs 6500K bulbs?

I need to get quality fixtures and bulbs for a few reasons -- the lights will be installed at a height that will make replacement a pain and I found out the hard way years ago that less expensive fixtures - even newer electronic -ones often come with cheap ballasts plus they often can not be installed directly on a ceiling (they need an air space).

Any help on this will be appreciated!

I can only relate the experience I have had. I have 4 of the 8' 4 bulb T-8 units, and 5 of the 4' 2 bulb units. All from Home Depot. Lithuania brand. 8 footers run about 45.00 each, and the 4 footers are about 27.00 each. Bulbs extra.
    I have no problems except the ballast on one of the 8 footers interferes with my radio when it is on. I got all my bulbs from an on line source, businesslights dot com. They are 6500, CR85 and I like the light. A case of 25 shipped is about 65.00. I need 2 more of the 8 footers, 3 more of the 4 footers, and 11 bulbs to finish up my lighting. I plan to keep the same brand. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim - Thanks for the feedback on the 6500k.

I have read that the cheaper 8' units can have interference problems - this I would like to avoid. Also the 4' bulbs are easier to order and store.

The company on e-bay includes the 6 bulbs with the fixture for $95 - the shipping may be a problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post
    So it looks like most 8' fixtures are really 4 - 4' T8 bulbs. ...
    That is correct. I installed these in my shop (see - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95520 and there is plenty of light. From what I understand T12s are being phased out and at some point they won't be available. I would suspect that the same thing will happen to the 8' T8s. Besides, it's much easier changing a 4' tube.

Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Tom,

If you're a solo shop, 4' are much easier to handle overall than an 8'. Swinging a 4' makes me nervous...8'...well, I just wouldn't do it. Also, getting the 8' to line up right and twist in...you may have nerve damage in your neck from doing that!

Jim pretty much outlined what I've got: 4 4' T8 fixtures. I got all my from Home Depot so if you got one nearby, have a gander. All Lithuania brand like Jim.

As far as color temps, I have 24 4' T8 bulbs total in my shop. I mixed everything in. HD has like 4-5 different color temperatures. I just spread out the bulbs temps all over for a uniform glow. I dunno...works for me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

4- 4' T8 lamps can cost the same or more as 1- F96T8 lamp, as I pay about $1.25 ea for FO32/741/ECO lamps and a 8' T8 is about $7.50 -8.00 ea.

Tom, talk to the folks at a real electrical store, such as Doylestown Electric to see what is available...the 'borg really isn't the best place to shop for that kind of thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Call your electrical service provider. Some utility companies have staff who are able to determine lighting needs, what will provide the best light, most energy efficient, etc.