Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carter Bandsaw Guides

Carter Bandsaw Guides

I'm thinking of putting some Carter guides on my 14" 1.5 HP Delta Bandsaw http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41036,56060 . I have a Laguna 18 for resaw and ripping, so this saw will be used mostly for curved work with a 1/4" or possibly 3/8" blade. Any comments or suggestions on these guides for this purpose.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Carter guides are "the best". Can't be beat. Worth every penny. The best way to improve the performance of any bandsaw. I hope I'm not being to vague...
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    My dad put Carters on his 1950's 14" Delta. Wow is an inadequate statement. What a difference. Pricey but they do what they claim. He had to return the first set as they didn't send the hex post version. Be sure to clarify when you order ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think David and Glenn both like them and I have looked at them. Now to add to Brent's question just what do they do to make the saw so much better then say cool blocks?
    I have cool blocks on my Jet and there is a bearing on the back of it so what will I gain by adding the Carters?

Carter Bearings

Good question Bill,I to hope someone will reply to your question.Looking forward to a good answer.I do like the way that the blade rides against the back bearing.----Carroll

Fine Woodworking did an analsis on blade guides for 14" bandsaws. Their conclusion was that Cool Blocks were the clear winner for general purpose saws. The only operation where a roller guide was viable was for resawing. And, for resawing, they liked the Ittura Bandrollers.

The issues with the large diameter roller guides like the Carters was that the large diameter moved the contact and support point further away from the cutting position. In other words they did not provide good support for curved cutting activities. The Cool Blocks more securely supported the blade as they are set up in contact with the blade. In addition, the Cool Blocks did not damage the blade if the blade mistracked and they could be used on any width blade. Finally, the Cool Blocks were the least cost solution.

I too, await some data on how Carter Guides "improved" the cut of a bandsaw.
    Howie.........

"... just what do they do to make the saw so much better..."

Think of the "cool blocks" or any other "fixed" guide as being a bushing as opposed to the ball bearing guides. Advantages are the same as they would be in any other situation where you were comparing a bushing to a bearing. The ball bearing guides can actually be in contact with the sides of the blade which is not the case with any "bushing type" guide. The biggest advantage is that any possible deflection if the blade at the critical "moment of entry" is eliminated. Also there is much less friction and much less possibility of scoring the guide which is always an issue with "block" style guides as is the vastly reduced wear factor. All of the above may be classified as "hair splitting" but I truly feel that the performance of the Carter guides justifies their cost.

PS I don't agree with the FWW conclusion. Don't forget, even though you read it in FWW, it's still just someone's opinion. I'm not trying to sell Carter guides here. I have just found them to be "the best"...
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 02-22-2009 at 4:11 PM. Reason: PS
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    The main improvement on my dad's was that they stayed in alignment when raised and lowered. Blade drift essentially disappeared. The stock Delta setup would require adjustment at 1" off the table and a readjust for 3" off the table. The Carter's, once aligned are pretty much hands-off until you change blades. Perhaps any quality modern guides on a saw this size would do as well(?).

For smaller blades, I could see where a block would put the control closer to the work if you were doing tight curves. Dad runs a 3/8" blade almost exclusivly so the 'contact' point above the material surface has been no issue. So, I guess the improvement is more than just the bearings, its the quality of the whole arm assembly and mountings.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-22-2009 at 4:35 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cool Blacks are made of phenolic! (plastic) It is slippery stuff BUT it wears out fast. Doing much curved work, I find I must take out the cool blocks and put a new flat 90deg. face on them TOO OFTEN, after a groove is worn in them.

Although I do not use Carter guides, they are on my LIST OF THINGS TO DO! The ball bearings make SENSE. and will provide much more stability than *plastic* does. The only Negative I have read about Carters is the lower guides get in the way of tilting the table to 45deg. NOT a problem for me, as I spend all my time trying for a true 90deg angle between blade and table!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have Carter Guides. They are like cool blocks on the sides and have a roller (big) on the back?

Carter seems to have a few different designs.

I can recommend these ones as excellent. The only thing I dont like about them is that you need an allen key and/or screwdriver to adjust them.

I have an 18" Delta with stock guides as well. These guides are so far superior to the stock guides on the Delta, they make the Delta guides seem worthless.

These guides would make any saw greatly improved. They are super strong .. they put all the emphasis for sawing on the motor and the sharpness of the blade. ... if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 02-22-2009 at 5:27 PM.

I put Carter bearings on my 1970's 14" bandsaw and it made a huge incredible difference. I can't saw enough good things about them. I also installed a new tire on the bottom wheel and now the saw shakes like a banshee. I am thinking a new steel bottom wheel is in order.

If you going to use this saw for curved work and wont use a blade larger than 1/4" consider the Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer. I use one on my Ridgid 14" with a 1/8" 14 tooth blade for bandsawn boxes and it works great with the tiny 1/8" blades. You cant really control a small blade like that with regular guides.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

>> The ball bearing guides can actually be in contact with the sides of the blade which is not the case with any "bushing type" guide.

In fact, Cool Blocks are intended to be set in direct contact with the blade. They are made with a graphite impregnation that greatly reduces friction.

A further problem with roller guides is that if the blade slips or otherwise become misaligned, the guide bearing and/or the blade is damaged. There is no risk of this with Cool Blocks.
    Howie.........

Does anyone know if cool blocks or the Carter guides are the best choice when working with a metal cutting blade? I am going to use my 14" Delta for mostly metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    If you going to use this saw for curved work and wont use a blade larger than 1/4" consider the Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer. I use one on my Ridgid 14" with a 1/8" 14 tooth blade for bandsawn boxes and it works great with the tiny 1/8" blades. You cant really control a small blade like that with regular guides.
    I second that. The stabilizer was a GREAT addition to my Grizzly 14 inch.

I don't have the other Carter accessories as I personally found it unnecessary to purchase bandsaw guides that cost close to a third of the saw. Maybe for a bigger saw, but my 14 inch does fine with factory settings and most of my work is curve work anyway.