Thread: Loose Wedge through mortise and tenon

Loose Wedge through mortise and tenon

I'm getting ready to make my first wedged mortise and tenon; in looking through Gary Rogowski's Joinery book I can't help but notice a couple of key facts missing. For example, he talks about ensuring you leave enough wood at the end of the tenon to prevent the short grain from shearing off, but he doesn't discuss how much wood you should leave. 1", 2"? My guess is that it's proportional to the whole tenon/wedge configuration.

Which leads to my next question....

How thick, wide, long should the wedge be?

I'm using the joint to hold the bottom shelve of a stool in place. The mortise is 1.5" x .75" through 3/4" QS white oak.

Stu

Page 372 shows 2"-3". Is that what your looking for?
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

hmmm...Not sure. I'm doing a horizontal type like shown on page 140. Are there different stresses, or is one the same as the other just rotated 90 degrees?

Check out FWW web site... They have a video online that may answer some of your questions... From what I remember, you are supposed to angle part of the mortise so when you drive the wedge into the tennon will open up into the mortise and lock the whole thing together... HTH
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I haven't done one like your doing so i can't give an experienced answer, however, if your concerned abot the short grain breaking, and i would be, perhaps you could insert a dowel through the tenon, 90 degrees to the wedge just outside of where the wedge is for some added strength. Some different colored wood might make a nice accent.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work