Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple of solid surface projects-LG HiMacs

A couple of solid surface projects-LG HiMacs

Here are a couple of little projects made on LG HiMacs solid surface. The material is the White Quartz color, engraved and filled. One, is a marker for a deceased pet (not mine) and the other is going to end up on my mailbox post. Just thought I would share them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Wow Larry, they look really nice. Very clear.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

That looks great. I've been doing similar things with Corian.

I recently sent a request to LG for a local distributor but unfortunately the closest one is across the state. I don't do enough volume yet to purchase multiple sheets and pay freight (which will be considerably more than I am paying for Corian locally).

I have my hopes up and looking for a fab shop that I could get their scraps.

Nice work, Larry! Have you used both Corian and this stuff? I wonder how they compare? Your work is very sharp and clean.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Nice work Larry!

When you engraved the cat, did you use Photograv? If so, I was curious about your color filling technique. Did you have to use any white in your color fill?
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeRegnaucourt View Post
    Nice work Larry!

When you engraved the cat, did you use Photograv? If so, I was curious about your color filling technique. Did you have to use any white in your color fill?
    Mike:
    Yes, I used Photograv. When this was engraved, it of course, comes out completely white. To make the photo appear, I took some black Krylon Fusion, sprayed it on a cloth and just rubbed it in to the photo engraving..like magic it appears. No white in the fill. I did the lettering the same way, but I clean the excess paint off with WD40.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

What do you use to colorfill? I've been using the rattle can and I occassionally have issues with the paint adhering to the walls of the engraving. It really stands out. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I was on my way so another reason to have Sharpies in various colors handy.

Guess I took too long to type.

Thanks for answering my question. That method would probably work better for getting in all the cracks and crevices.

Dee:
    Corian is about the same. LG HiMacs and Corian are identical in chemical make up (at least that's what they say). I have used up a bunch of stuff the local distributor gave me for free in exchange for making them some sales aids. It routes very nicely also. I am coming to the point where I am going to have to buy some from them! I am making ADA compliant signs with it also.

Very nice. Jealous, I am!

Nice job there Larry. I am so anxious to try the solid surface stuff myself. No one local that handles this stuff, so no "drop offs". But I'm gonna do it now that I've seen your stuff.

Thanks
    Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Welch View Post
    Nice job there Larry. I am so anxious to try the solid surface stuff myself. No one local that handles this stuff, so no "drop offs". But I'm gonna do it now that I've seen your stuff.

Thanks
    Anthony
    Anthony:
    Find you a cabinet shop that does counter tops. Everytime they cut out a sink, they have a drop. Let me see if I can get some more drops. I think I know where I can get some and if I can, I'll send you some to try.

Larry,

Very nice!

Dee,

Corian and Hi-Macs are both acrylic solid surface, essentially the same product, different manufacturers. Hi-Macs is less expensive. There is a third acrylic solid surface - Staron. Avonite is also a solid surface product, but polyester instead of acrylic.

All,

Don't limit yourselves to countertop shops when sourcing drops. Some cabinet companies also fabricate Corian (or at least they do in our area).

Almost anything you can do with wood, you can do with Corian. Personalized cutting boards are very popular. Just a few ideas - mongrammed trivets, picture/mirror frames, desk name plates, bread boards for restaurants. Using a paint fill is the easiest option. The advantage of using Corian or Integra adhesive to fill is that you have smooth surface, and the engraved area appears to be an inlay (which basically it is). Bubbles can be an issue when using the adhesive though. Typically for signs and things of that nature I use paint, for cutting boards and bread boards I use adhesive as a fill when possible. If the engraving is shallow the adhesive fill sometimes sands out if you have to resurface the piece.

Sorry, my camera was stolen from my office and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, so I don't have any decent pics to post.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda.....all great ideas.....thanks for sharing.

One thing about cutting boards though.....my concern was that you should use the adhesive instead of paint so that it will still be food safe.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Belinda.....all great ideas.....thanks for sharing.

One thing about cutting boards though.....my concern was that you should use the adhesive instead of paint so that it will still be food safe.
    Good point Steve. Also dishwasher safe. Ask the customer about how he/she intends to use the board. Many of the cutting boards I do end up being just for display.

Two photos, one paint filled, one adhesive filled (Low Country Boil). You may not be able to tell the difference. Pix aren't great, these were taken for the customer file just for my reference.

Ouback Bread Board Prototype 001.jpg
    Ouback Bread Board Prototype 003.jpg
    Corian Cutting Board.jpg
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 02-26-2009 at 9:16 AM. Reason: add pics

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Thanks for the comparison info, Belinda! Since there have been so many new solid surface materials introduced, you never know what you're getting, which could be detrimental to your laser.

I love the idea of putting a recipe on the back of a cutting board. Seems like a perfect "family specialty" type gift, newlyweds first Christmas, bachelor's apartment (with hangover recipe on back!), etc. Why did the restaurant want a big hole in the board? Was it to hold dipping sauce or something? Just curious...

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong