Thread: My first real Gloat

My first real Gloat

Quick history. Started woodworking about 6 years ago, now we run a small kitchen cabinet shop in San Antonio and love what we do. Just finished an absolutely stunning Maple kitchen. We do about 1 kitchen a month or so.

I started with a small $150ish craftsman, cheap and dangerous!

Burned the motor and bought a medium size contractor Delta (36-600, purchased for $75 on CL).

Few weeks ago took advantage of the 399.00 Ridgid close out, no sales tax as we are tax exempt. (we got around 400.00 back from the good old live.com cashback days, making this purchase practically free )

Today though, I found and bought a large size craftsman on CL (some of you all might refer to it as 'crapsman'). Anyway, I don't have any pics of it yet but it is nearly an identical image of my Ridgid 3650. They look the same, they sound the same when turned on, the craftsman actually appears to have a stronger base then the Ridgid and the craftsman came with a cast iron router table wing. The craftsman is very heavy, has no or very little vibration when running. The fella sold this to me for 100.00. Oh, it must have been garage kept and waxed regularly because it looks as new as my 3 week old Ridgid. I am excited! I wanted another TS to run my dado.

Can anyone tell me about this TS that appears to be built just like the 3650. I hope I did not just buy 'crap' and I hope I got a deal worthy of an actual 'gloat'. Well, I am excited, at least for now and at least until I start using it. Is it possible Ridgid built this particular craftsman saw I have. Oh, the fence appears to exactly the same as my ridgid.

Also, the router table on the side has only a small hole to allow for only a small bit. If I ever wanted to can I drill out a larger hole to accomodate a larger bit. Probably will not be necessary as I use a 3 HP Grizzly shaper and run my larger cutters on it.

The Delta 36-600 is going on CL... Any info or advice is much appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

We would need to know the model number to be sure, but at one time the people who now make Ridgid (Emerson) was the manufacturer of Craftsman back when it wasn't a crapsman, so yes there is a chance it identical for a reason

It sounds identical to my saw. Cast iron router extension wing on the left, stamped steel extension wing on the right?

Only have two minor gripes

1. Not crazy about the fence, but I've purchased a replacement system from Incra that should rock

2. The router extension is drilled to fit some Craftsman router that I don't think is even available anymore. I was able to talk to the Sears parts hot line and locate an adapter kit. It works with my Hitachi router kit's fixed base, but the adapter steals a little elevation. Bought a PC 3 horse router motor off the bay and one of these days will combine that with a Digital Smart lift and the new cast iron extension wing from Peachtree...

Um...a Kitchen A Month? Isn't it time for a real *cabinet saw* if you are in the *cabinet business*??
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Um...a Kitchen A Month? Isn't it time for a real *cabinet saw* if you are in the *cabinet business*??
    If the saw isn't giving him any problems why cut an extra grand off his bottom line?
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I agree that I do not need a cabinet saw. I have yet to overload my Ridgid, even the small delta 36-600 though it was loud seldom seemed overloaded, overload usually had more to do with a dulling blade or feed rate. The cabinet saw offers more power and better dust control but a small (very small) family business just starting up this past year has not afforded us the means for a $1000.00 saw, thus my excitement to be able to add a good quality dado saw for $100.00. No more changing back and forth which trust me gets real old real quick!!!

Deals and discounts section reports a great deal on a Steel City 3 hp cabinet saw (850.00 and free shipping), that is great and I teased my wife saying I could sell my currently 3 TS and buy this one. I think I will stay put right now though, plus the Ridgid does have a lifetime warranty and meets the needs adequately.

As for the new to me craftsman Mfr. model #315.228390, I have not taken any pics but searched the model # and found this CL listing, not my saw or listing, just shows the pics that look just like the saw; http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1013726477.html

How hard will it be do you think for me to drill out my own mounting holes in the cast iron to mount say a Frued router, like the one recently on sale for 99.00 at lowes? I did cut a dado with it and it worked like a charm. Thanks for any input. Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Nettrour; 02-26-2009 at 4:13 PM.

Oh, I dunno! Seemed like a good idea to ME! But, its not my Money!

At a *kitchen a month* a BORG saw may soon throw craps. Sears/Rigid stuff is not *overly-built* for sustained use! Downtime equals lost income when one depends on constant productivity to pay the bills.

A business has tax incentives to invest in new machinery. Amortization can HELP the bottom line. Especially important for a new business starting out. A new biz must show a profit only 2 out of the first 5 years! I'm no CPA, nor do I depend on my woodworking business to feed my family. Just the owner of one more opinion.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Jerry,
    I have used that saw for about 6 years now, not a bad saw at all and has performed well for me, as for the router I would have to say I don't know I gave up trying to use it as it was a PITA and I went to a router cabinet. The only mod I have done is to add a (lowes clearance) $100 Bies and by the way what a difference does what I need to do with it and properly setup is very accurate. PM me if you do not have the manuals and I will send them to you. Good gloat in my opinion you got a great deal. BTW the saw was made by Ryboi, but it has served me well.
    rod