Thread: My new lumber hauler is here!

My new lumber hauler is here!

I've been away from the forums for awhile now and here's the reason, designing and coordinating our new truck. It's amazing how much of my time it took. The bed is a modified version of a base design and i made several drawings in Sketchup and DeltaCad to get it sized for our needs. I bought the truck in October last year and shipped it to Classy Chassis Truck in Indiana. They took my drawings and built the all aluminum bed in about 8 weeks time and i'm very pleased with the quality of their work. Everything matched my drawing perfectly. There's 50" between wheel wells and the floor is 108" long. Sides are 19" high, similar to a normal truck bed.

It's main function, other than hauling wood to the shop and furniture out, is to carry our soon to be ordered Host Yukon slide-in truck camper to places that don't have paved roads, boondocking if you will. We really enjoy getting away from the fast paced lives we live during the week and settling down with a good book and an adult beverage next to a warm campfire just melts the stress away completely.

Of course there's more work to do. We're planning on installing several shelves and/or racks in the 4 larger compartments and most likely i'll use some of the Ipe left over from our deck to make them. It'll be a challenge to get them in and secured but it'll be a lot of fun to.

Anyway, here's a few pics from Classy Chassis. Once the weather clears up a bit i'll take some of my own.

Thanks for looking!
    Brian

On Edit: It's a 2008 Dodge Ram 4500 Cab and Chassis 4x4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 03-01-2009 at 3:43 PM. Reason: Added truck info
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Wow...that is a major sharp looking setup, Brian!! Very nice! Perfect for its intended use, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most excellent indeed!
    I too would use a 4 door model if I was to do something like that. Can't stand the cramped feeling of a single cab truck.

Pretty sweet Brian. How are you set up for cooking, other than campfire?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Thanks Folks!

Cooking? Well the campfire is for steaks and burgers but the camper has all the ameties of a house; bath, shower, sink, stove, microwave, bed. etc. Of cousre we do a fair amount of backpacking also....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work