Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: URGENT: Adapting a PM66 to 120v power

1. Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Sigh...

Okay folks, here's the skinny:

An approximately 3 year old PM 66 showed up on Craigslist here last night at 7pm or so. I didn't see it until around 11pm, so I waited until this morning to call. Missed it.

It was listed for $100

Converting the saw in some fashion is my only option. Running 220 is simple, it doesn't scare me at all, given that I completely wired up my last shop, and undoubtedly would be cheaper than the alternatives.

However, I'm in a rented townhome, with gas appliances. No tapping off the dryer or oven. I may investigate dropping a 220v circuit from the panel, but am not hopeful that the owner will allow it.

'Tis a moot point now, but it was a nice dream while it lasted.

I saw the 100$ PM66 too and maaan I never dialed that fast before lol. But, i'm not the lucky one this time.
    BTW, at our previous rental home I made up some 220 extension cords and used the dryer outlet, worked fine. Recently we moved into another rental, and there was no 220 circuits at all besides the AC, but the owner let me install a 220 20A outlet in the garage, I had to hire an electrician ofcourse. it was a 20-minute 165$ job!!! Maybe I should change careers??

Happy woodworking.

The manufacturers recommend no less than 20A 220V, preferably 30A. The 3 HP motor pulls all of 20 A at startup. Also, I have seen several 3HP motors toated at 20A, never at 30A.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve LeGrue View Post
    ...The 3 HP motor pulls all of 20 A at startup. ...
    Probably even a lot more, but you don't size breakers that way. A functioning residential type circuit breaker will tolerate far more than it's rating for the short time necessary to accommodate the start surge.

They are not instantaneous trip devices as the old screw-in fuses may have been. The higher the overload, the shorter the trip delay and vice-versa. I know for a fact that one of the 20 amp breakers in my shop will pass 44 amps for as much 30 seconds or more before tripping.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Sigh...

Okay folks, here's the skinny:

An approximately 3 year old PM 66 showed up on Craigslist here last night at 7pm or so. I didn't see it until around 11pm, so I waited until this morning to call. Missed it.

It was listed for $100

Converting the saw in some fashion is my only option. Running 220 is simple, it doesn't scare me at all, given that I completely wired up my last shop, and undoubtedly would be cheaper than the alternatives.

However, I'm in a rented townhome, with gas appliances. No tapping off the dryer or oven. I may investigate dropping a 220v circuit from the panel, but am not hopeful that the owner will allow it.

'Tis a moot point now, but it was a nice dream while it lasted.
    John,
    I almost had a seizure when I saw that PM66 for $100, but it was sold by the time I called. I'm sure that was a deal that won't come around again any time soon.
    Bill

Don't DARE CRY over missing that $100 PM66! Ya' Jus' Never Know what the buyer wound up with! It could have been in a fire, or under water, OR stolen! Or, sold by an irrate soon-to-be *Ex* spouse unbeknownst to the party of the 2nd part. The list of negative scenarios goes on and on.

The *lucky* buyer may indeed have gotten the deal of this new century! But, all too often the old addage still holds true! "If it Sounds Too Good To Be True, It Probably Is!"
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!