Thread: Wiring my PW 3220B

Wiring my PW 3220B

Just ordered the PW 3220 and getting ready for its arrival. (so excited)
    Any suggestions -- Hardwire vs 230 plug. Not sure how the headstock would move up and down the lathe bed if its hardwired. Should I purchase a 230 cord/plug and install a receptical instead of hardwiring?Any recommendations or observations. Gotta figure I'm missing something obvious. thanks...Dave

Dave - Welcome to the Creek! So......... you got a PM 3520B coming? Congrats on that! I have the Jet 1642 - the Powermatic's little brother - but mine is also 220V. The lathe will come with a power cord - you supply the plug!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I'm assuming you mean a 3520B, yes? Hardwiring is probably not the best way to go. If you are in an area with any amount of lightning, it would be best to remove power to the lathe under those circumstances. Some suggest removing power connections as soon as you are finished turning.

In winter weather I leave it connected but in the summer we can get some mighty big boomers. At those times I will disconnect from power.

YMMV,
    Burt

I strongly urge anyone who has an EVS system to use a plug and UNPLUG it every day when you're done turning. A power surge can blow those things in an instant and they're expensive. Tripping a circuit breaker is not the same. Just my $.02 worth.

Thanks

Thanks gents...I will post pics when they come in. You both sold me on the "PLUG" approach. I like the idea of unplugging it, it makes sense.
    Dave

Yes Ed, I'm convinced. Didn't even think about that.
    I'm sold.