Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220v electrical question

I have dual 220v in my shop. One for my tablesaw and one for my air compressor. I just mounted 2 boxes side by side and ran jumpers from one box to the other. I t works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Yabbut I've never seen a duplex twistlock receptacle. Any twistlock I've ever seen is a single receptacle. There are multi-gang plates so you could have multiple twistlocks in 1 multi-gang box. Here's a picture of a Hubbell plate (15A twistlocks).
    Good point...all my 240V/30A receptacles are single so the right-angle, straight issue is kind of a non-issue with multi-gang. In fact, the right-angle is likely less stressful on the cord. I just don't recall ever seeing any right-angle L6-30s....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Duplex 220V recepticals limit you to 15A, from what I could find in a quick search.

I LOVE OVERKILL! I use Hubbell L6-30 twistlock connectors on all my 220V machines. I can only use one machine at a time, so (8) single outlets are on the same circuit around the shop walls for jointer, planer, two shapers, two DPs, RAS and drum sander. circuit handles anything up to 5hp. The DC, RPC and Compressor are on separate circuits.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

NEMA 6-20R duplex are available. For example.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    Am I missing something? If you have this:

And both of your plugs look like the one on the right:

You won't be able to plug them both in will you?

I suppose as long as you knew one would always come straight out you'd be ok...
    Correct but you don't have to use those type of plugs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

amperage, code violation

here in Illinois you can run 2 boxes but they have to be seperate circuts as you noted . I did not want someone to think that the 12 ga wire could support 2 units running at the same time .
    Whwn I got my MM16 there real clear about running a committed 20 amp 220 v circut for it not a 15 amp with #12 wire min.

Just trying to ensure some one does not put them selves in a predicament

Thanks for the clarification.

Bill

Type 5492 duplex receptacles are available (20A 240V).

My shop uses multiple duplex 15A 240V receptacles fed from a 15A breaker since I don't have any machines larger than 3HP, except for my jointer/planer which has a 4HP S6 motor.

The two 3 HP machines have high power factor/high efficiency motors with an FLA of 12.5 Amperes.

Regards, Rod.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Duplex 220V recepticals limit you to 15A, from what I could find in a quick search.
    No. The same rules that apply to 120 volt circuits also apply to 240 volt circuits. You are permitted to install a 15 amp duplex receptacle on a 20 amp circuit. (NEC Table 210.21 (B)(2))
    Last edited by Rick Christopherson; 02-26-2009 at 9:02 PM.

What I did in my shop was to bring the 240 volt, and a 120 volt (4 plex) outlets to the front of my saw. I also brought a 4" dust collection gate under those.
    Now when I want to plug in any roll-up equipment to use, all the amendities are right there for whatever it is. 120 volt or 240 volt, DC, and also a compressed air hose.
    I unplug my TS, and plug in the BS or joiner to my 240 volt circuit. For my planer it plugs into the 120 volt circuit.

And it makes it a no brainer to unplug anything before I stick my finners anywhere near sharp spinning steel.