Thread: Planer/Tools/ Other Help

Planer/Tools/ Other Help

Ok here is the deal. My father and I are saving for a new Planer. We are shooting for a 20" 5hp with Byrd Helix Head. We are hobbiest but like the good stuff.
    So the question is "you have $3500-$4000 burning a hole in your pocket, you have to buy a planer. Which brand, options, other do you buy"?
    We are set with other tools. The planer seems to be the weak link in our shop.
    Thanks in advance for the input.

Blog Entries
    If you tell us what kind of work you do or what type of pieces you make we can help "more better". You are in the price range of an upper-end machine so knowing what it will be used for is good info.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun Brown View Post
    Ok here is the deal. My father and I are saving for a new Planer. We are shooting for a 20" 5hp with Byrd Helix Head. We are hobbiest but like the good stuff.
    So the question is "you have $3500-$4000 burning a hole in your pocket, you have to buy a planer. Which brand, options, other do you buy"?
    We are set with other tools. The planer seems to be the weak link in our shop.
    Thanks in advance for the input.
    I'd buy a used 20" SCMI. There are two SCMI planers for sale here in Phoenix now. One was on the bay, I think it was a 24" and the min bid was $2500, didn't sell. There is another advertised locally that is a 20".

These things are rediculously better built than the 20" chinese planers. power bed raise and lower, very large diameter cutterheads, and 10HP. I paid $1000 for a 12" SCMI Byrd cutterhead. I'd guess $1600 for a 20" and $2000 for a 24".

The other way I'd go is to buy a 20" old iron Powermatic and put a Byrd in that.

I have never heard of SCMI, that is what I am looking for in this post. I am sure I don't know every brand of type out there.

My father and I tinker with furniture for around my house. More for personal solace than anything. But like I said, I like the good stuff. But, good does not always mean new stuff.
    I do want something that I can use for decades, that is why I/we are willing to spend the money.
    Thanks again

Exactly how many 20" wide boards are you going to run? Do you have a 20" jointer also? Seldom, other than door slabs do, I need anything that my 12" lunch box won't handle. Of course I could use my 15" Delta if needed.

You could probably find a Powermatic model 180 18" planer & put a Byrd head in it for that.

There are a lot of them out there that were used in schools and they were built to last forever. If you've never seen an old American made Powermatic, there's a big difference between them & the new ones.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

New is nice

With a $4K budget, I would consider a Grizzly 20" 5hp with a Helix Head for around $2K and for around another $2K you can probably get a 24 to 26" double drum sander.
    That should take care of 90" of your furniture needs.
    Other than a dining room table, most furniture pieces are approx. 16 to 20" wide. With a 20" planer you can run a completed dresser top, desk top, and other stuff through it and the sander. If you have a wider table top it can be built in 2 sections and each section planed separately so you will only have one joint ( in the midle) to hand touch-up.
    I have bought used machinery from time to time but much rather have new.

Hope this has been of some help.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun Brown View Post
    I have never heard of SCMI, that is what I am looking for in this post. I am sure I don't know every brand of type out there.

My father and I tinker with furniture for around my house. More for personal solace than anything. But like I said, I like the good stuff. But, good does not always mean new stuff.
    I do want something that I can use for decades, that is why I/we are willing to spend the money.
    Thanks again
    SCMI is Italian. Much of the high end commercial equipment is from Italy. This planer is close to $20K new today. I am also a fan of the old Powermatic. Are you handy with machinery? Older Powermatics are great but the ones that are cheaper will require some restoration.

Also, where in the country are you located?

Jasun, for that kind of money I would be looking at an old piece of arn. If you are able to run a phase converter or have 3 phase in your shop you should be able to get a really sweet piece of equipment. I have equiped my entire shop at a fraction of the new prices by buying used. If you buy quality machines they will outlive you. I recently found a used Grizzly G0544 20" spiral head planer for a little more than a tenth of your budget. Now this isn't what I would call "old arn" but I couldn't pass it up for the price. If you have the time and the money in hand and are inclined to watch the various online sources etc. you will undoubtedly be able to find what you want for a fraction of the new price especially in this economy. Good luck.

22" pm

I bought a brand new 22" Powermatic for $2900 delivered. It has a four knife cutterhead. I though about retrofitting the cutterhead but most reviews prefer the straight knife. I am lucky because I can take 22" stock to my 22-44" sander. Shop around for deals. I'm about to buy a brand new PM 2000 with the 52" Beisemeyer fence for $2046 out the door.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

John

Money well spent.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I'd buy a used 20" SCMI. There are two SCMI planers for sale here in Phoenix now. One was on the bay, I think it was a 24" and the min bid was $2500, didn't sell. There is another advertised locally that is a 20".

These things are rediculously better built than the 20" chinese planers. power bed raise and lower, very large diameter cutterheads, and 10HP. I paid $1000 for a 12" SCMI Byrd cutterhead. I'd guess $1600 for a 20" and $2000 for a 24".

The other way I'd go is to buy a 20" old iron Powermatic and put a Byrd in that.
    I'll second that, the SCMI that is. If you can pick one up for the money he is talking why in the heck would you even look at anything from the orient. I bought a SCMI 20" about 4-5 years ago and it was in the low five figure range, and I replaced one of those old Powermatic monsters with it and was never sorry. Totally repeatable, 2 minutes to change four knives, will plane Birdseye maple without eye pops, no snipe, no tearout and idles at 78db, you can talk in a normal voice next to it when it is planing.

I thought about selling mine to downsize my shop, but when I saw what they are selling for in this recession/depression I will keep it.

Let me make myself real clear, there is absolutely no comparison to the old school iron and the Oriental stuff. It should be illegal to say SCMI and Grizzley in the same sentence. Opps!