Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Bandsaw - Need Your Advice

My First Bandsaw - Need Your Advice

I am going to purchase my first bandsaw and I've saved enough to actually get a new one. With the Woodworking Shows in town (NJ) this weekend I think that is going to be the place for me to start shopping. I know Delta is there and they usually have special deals at the show.

I would like to get a 14" saw and it will have to be under $1000 so that narrows my search a bit. My questions are what brands offer the most durability and simplicity. I am a beginner in woodworking and don't have any experience with the bandsaw.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Andy

There is going to be a wealth of info already here - just search on first bandsaw. Most will ask you what you want to do - resaw? General cutting, what are you trying to do and what projects to you plan on building? Most will want to know that before they offer advice.

For myself - I was in your shoes about 18 months ago - I chose and found a wonderful used Powermatic 141 - added a kreg fence and was out of pocket about $550. It does not have alot of resaw height - but it just keeps running well. I have found that I could use more resaw height, so I have filed that need away when the budget will allow. But I have learned alot about bandsaws and should be able to sell this one if I chose for nearly what I have into it. If you must have new - Grizzly, Powermatic, Delta and Jet all have good ones - buy as big as you can afford.

I used my power tool purchases as a learning experience - and I have made only two out of about 8 mistakes - should have held out for an 8" jointer, and a 220v cabinet/hybrid table saw.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Surely with 1k to spend you could go bigger than 14". I'd check out Grizzly, or look for Woodcraft to put the 18" Rikon on sale again.

I think a 14" bandsaw is a good starting point for a beginner. I'd much prefer a top of the line 14" bandsaw than something larger of marginal quality.

Wood Magazine did a review of the 14" saws a couple months ago. I think in September 08.

I don't know that you'll get a lot of info from the show (I'm going there myself!).

I think y'll do better to just do some price comparisons and internet shopping.

Buy a good blade. Timberwolves are well regarded...

The tool reviews from Fine Woodworking for last year and this year had the same results. Editors top pick was the $1500 Laguna 14" band saw. For best buy, Grizzly won out with one of their 14" bandsaws which had good results and only cost something like $750 if I recall......
    The only reason I have this on the top of my head is because I've been looking into the 14"ers myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    I chose and found a wonderful used Powermatic 141 - added a kreg fence and was out of pocket about $550.
    +1

I was in your boat about a year ago, and found a Powermatic PWBS-14C (that looked like it had never even cut wood) for $650. It even came with three new blades.

With a grand to spend my first thought was that you should go larger than 14" but my second thought was why. just to put it in perspective

grizzly has a 14" 2hp industrial re saw band saw ( g0457) that has a 10" cutting height for $895

they have a 17" 2hp heavy duty ES (g0513x2) with a 12" cutting height for $995

With the same hp the 14" looks much sturdier and has a much better re saw fence. Do you think you would ever resaw a board over 10" wide? I doubt would.

Mind you this is coming from someone who has no band saw but does like talking about them because he wants one so bad.

If you are a beginner, then I suggest you watch this video of David Marks band saw tune-up:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/woodworking

Click there, then go to woodworking tools and materials, then click on video #3 "band saw tune-up".

My first bandsaw was a used Delta 14" with carter bearing guides and blades for under $300. (Craigslist)

After tuning it up, (I didn't have to get new tires or bearings), the saw works great and I can even use the fence correctly which the previous owner said was junk.

Then I figured I can always get the height adjustment kit for the bandsaw and longer blades to make the band saw more versatile. (Adds like 6")

One mistake to be careful of is to invest in an expensive industrial large band saw with carbide tipped blades, etc... Because maybe you won't use the bandsaw that much for most of your projects. I know I used to get by ok with a Jig saw as a substitute. heh

Woodworker's Supply has a great deal on a 2 speed Steel City right now.

$497

Riser Block is $109 and the fence is $109

So for a little over $700 you could have a great saw that would do just about anything you need as a beginner.

1-1/2HP, 115/230V, 1PH TEFC motor w/mechanical on/off switch - 1,500/3,000 SFPM.
    13" blade to frame 6-1/4" under guide (12" with optional riser block).
    16" x 16" cast iron table with miter slot tilts 48° right and 10° left.
    93-1/2" standard blade length, 1/8" to 3/4" width.
    7-1/2" maximum rip right of blade; 11-3/4" left (using optional rip fence).
    Comes with mobile base integrated into the stand, wheel brush, wrenches and instructions.
    68"H x 38"W x 27"D.
    271 lbs. net weight; 291 lbs. shipping weight.
    Five year manufacturer's warranty.

14"

I had a dinosaur-brand American 12" saw for years - very good tool, but parts SO not available if it ever broke. I just bought a Jet 14" for $50 from a business-closing sale. If I hadn't found that, I'd still be happy with my 12" saw.

Sure, if you can fit a 36" saw into your budget and space, great; but don't be seduced by the notion that you can't do good work with a 14" saw.

I'd take a look at the Grizzly's. The G0513x2 is a great saw and would come in under your budget since it's $995 and has free shipping right now. It's a 17" saw, but the footprint isn't much different than a 14 and you'll have a lot more capabilities.
    Last edited by Robert Strebler; 02-26-2009 at 6:11 PM.

I have a Grizzly G0555 - The Ultimate Bandsaw. It can be shipped to you for $509, so you should get two!

If you insist on spending more, I'd still stick to Grizzly. They really have a great selection, and offer many in your price range. There's already a lot of posts in this thread with other great Grizzly models.

I have NO complaints about mine!

Good luck!

--Jeff Wille
    www.jeffwille.com
    Psychologists say the glass is half full. Engineers say the glass is full with a safety factor of 2.

Smile

Get a good-quality name brand saw. Don't spend a penny on custom add-ons (cool blocks, riser blocks, detensioners, etc.). Get experience with the machine. Get more experience. By then you'll have valuable skills, you'll know exactly what you want next, and you'll have a good-quality name-brand machine that you can easily sell to offset the cost of the new one.

Pete

I really don't subscribe to the adage that bigger is better - most of the time. However, when talking bandsaws, it's true. If you must buy new, and you have a grand, the Grizzly 17" or one of 18"rs on sale is the way to go. The footprint is not that much different and you will get all the re-saw you'll need and a lot more swing room. If you're still going with a 14"er new, take a look at the General International 90-125. It's a sleeper as it doesn't get much press. It comes with a good fence, a 16x16 in. table and a little blower thingy (technical term) to keep sawdust off. If you'll consider used, go with an older Delta 14"er, the older the better. Get one with as few bells and whistles as possible and that saw will be your teacher of what a bandsaw can do for quite awhile. You should be able to find one for well under $500. Most good ones will be around $300.

As suggested, make sure you get a good blade. That's essential.

Good luck,

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.