Thread: Dropping router table top into extension table

Dropping router table top into extension table

Does anyone have plans or an easy design for dropping a router table top into an extension table?

Several issues here... and I suspect I cant salvage all my previous work / purchases... but I have an extension table already as well as a standalone router table with a Benchdog cast iron top.

I would love to salvage the Benchdog as I really like it as a table top... and whatever design I go with will need to have some type of cabinet under it for dust collection (I have asthma so I am pretty cautious in that regard).

Any ideas / pics welcome....

George

Hey Gerorge, I presume saving space is your entire goal with the project? I beat my head against the wall for a long time trying to figure out if I should get a router extension in my ts or get a stand alone router table. I've seen some folks that have some awesome setups that really maximize the space on the ts.... Though in my particular situation I ended up going with a stand alone and the more I work with what I have the more I'm glad I went with this option. I tend to find the extension are of my ts to be a place where I do some initial setups/storeage while I cut, etc...so I can only imagine...in my case...that my shop would be even more of a mess if I would have done the router in the extension.

....just my little experience. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong and I'm sure folks here will have great advise on how to do what you want. It seems like most of the setups I've seen, the extension is basically coated angle iron that one could fabricate or add/remove from fairly easy.

Good luck.

t

Travis

You are correct... big space limitations (if that phrase isnt a contradiction

Blog Entries
    The Benchdog just bolts right to the TS doesn't it? Is this the cast iron BD? My Rockler extension wing started out just hanging there and ended up like this.

Ext_Wing_Gone_Wild.jpg

I could never give up the space for a stand alone RT. I'm too spoiled by the additional surface that is gained for both tools. Mine really almost doesn't count as a wing anymore although it is still bolted to the TS top.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I done mine (BenchDog) like this:
    (The last picture is of my versa feeder set up to drive stock through the benchdog router and utilisses the TS's outfeed table.)
    These pictures are from my old shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Benchdog top I have does not have holes that align with my saw table holes.

Also, if I just attached it to the top I would have to cut the rails of the saw... which I am pretty much resigned is gonna happen... it is just very painful