Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to hide TS and rollaways in garage

Question how to hide TS and rollaways in garage

I need to conceal table saw and 3 roll aways on front wall of my garage and eliminate pegboard storage to keep LOML happy. I have 14 feet width 4 feet depth and 8 foot + height to play with.

My first thought is to hang a 2 x 6 ledger on garage wall running the full 14 foot width and then build a 40 inch deep shelf consisting of 2 layers of 3/4 MDF with adequate supports and laminate topping for appearances. Will not be using this as a work surface.

My table saw will require a bay nearly 7 feet wide by 36 deep with fence removed. I'd like to hide it with sliding doors but I haven't located sliding HW of sufficient length. Perhaps I'll hang doors from eye hooks and remove doors as needed to access saw.......any suggestions.

Above the 40" shelf I am thinking of some deep cabinets with attractive doors and face frames. Any suggestions on reasobaly priced doors that I should consider building? Perhaps half of the space behind doors will be large plastic bins for jigs, tools, whatever. The remaining 50% will be deep drawers on slides, deep shelves, vertical storage slots whatever.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

How about something along this line?

http://www.rd.com/images/offer/fh/pr...ayWorkshop.pdf

Obviously it would have to be seriously modified, but the basic idea is sound.

Mike

How 'bout hanging a 14'-wide curtain from the ceiling, four feet away from the wall? Anything behind the curtain is out of SWMBO's sight. Except for the curtain, you wouldn't have to build anything, and you can keep things like pegboard. You just pull the drapes open when you want to work, and pull them closed when you're done. Heck, you can even let her choose the drapes.

Not mine, but I've always thought this was wise use of space:

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've been hiding tools in my garage from LOML for years... heck... I may be an expert

6. If you decide on large sliding doors, look into "barn door" hardware. It can support hundreds of pounds, and would be easy to incorporate.

You can make relatively attractive and inexpensive shop doors using ply and 1x3 frames on the front; when painted they look pretty good.

Geese!
    Why don't you hide her?
    I hate domineering women, first they wanted to be equal. OK, I was tired of holding the door open for you anyway.
    Now they don't want to see your tools, even in the garage?

I had two prerequisites:
    I own the garage! It is mine for a shop. Period.
    I also own a room in the house for my computer junk. A "Man Room".
    And never has she encroached on my spaces.
    That... is true love.
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 03-01-2009 at 2:08 PM.

So Sonny - if she decides to take up as a hobby something like, say....I dunno, breeding or something. Does she get her own rooms to where she gets to call the shots?

Just thinking aloud that equal this is an equal that and maybe compromises are the best manner

I own the garage, I also own my "office".
    She gets the rest of the house to build her nest in.
    Oh, and I pay for it all.
    I compromise a lot. But I made it clear going in that these things shall not waver.
    Can't be too bad. She's still here and we are still happy and in love.
    Any (intelligent) questions?

I'd be damned if I'd "hide" my tools when they are already in the garage to start with.

10. My lady said "What the he** is she doing in the garage anyway?"

I own the garage. It's my space. Well, that and a small pile of tools in the living room from an ongoing renovation project, but sssshhhhh

Well, actually, I share the garage with the kid now that he's showing an interest in tinkering around. But that's all fine and dandy, he's not into ugly chairs or anything else that she feels she needs to put betwixt the front and back doors..

I'll 2nd the curtain. Cheap, easy, effective and takes no floor space. I use a floor to ceiling 6 mil plastic curtain.

In the interest of solving Tom's problem rather than second guessing the compromises he makes with his wife(*), I like the idea of a curtain. You could even combine it with the shelf idea and just have a half curtain hiding what is below the shelf--maybe just run it on picture wire strung where you can't see it.

(*) Not to state the obvious, but different people view different things as important and what works for one couple may not for another. In other words, your definition of true love doesn't apply to any relationship but your own. You might call a woman domineering if she isn't copacetic with the idea of you carving out some man cave. Others might say the compulsion to dominate the garage and study as physical property is compensation for ceded authority with respect to other parts of your domain or relationship. In Tom's case, it sounds like its shared space, so she ought to have some input as long as Tom has input for other shared space.

Someone will have to explain to me what geese have to do with this.

Call it the *IRON CURTAIN*! *eyerollz*
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    I compromise a lot. But I made it clear going in that these things shall not waver.

I'd be damned if I'd "hide" my tools when they are already in the garage to start with.

On another (mechanics type) forum, a poster told how his wife started trying to encroach into the garage. (wanted to store the Christmas stuff)

She came home to find the washer and dryer (which he allowed, since he did his shop laundry out there, and she didn't mess with it), sitting in the living room.

They have their hobbies, and we have our hobbies. Couples tend to be a lot happier, if they aren't hanging off of each other all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post

Only intelligent question I can think of is how'd you get screwed so bad? Sounds like she controls the biffy, food court, rec and tv room and most important the sleeping chambers.

She's a very wise lady to have cut that deal