Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009

Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009

I'm not sure we will be able to keep this an apolitical discussion, but it is not my intent to start one. I'm just curious about how many hunters here are aware of this pending legislation.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I was made aware of this and I immediately sent off an email to my local Congressman. I hope they all are aware there are a lot of people watching their actions. Better not say any more for fear of crossing the line.

Belinda, I am not sure how this would specifically be a problem for hunters but maybe I am missing something?
    It seems that the bill is requiring that you have a license to buy a handgun or a semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device.
    I don't want to get into a political discussion either. I own firearms but I don't see how this legislation would a burden on me. I could be wrong since legal language is a bit confusing but I think this applies when you buy a weapon, not for what you already own.
    Ben

Picked this quote up from thehighroad.org

Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban
    By Mike Soraghan
    Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.
    There are still bills pending regarding ammunition stamping which could be as bad as gun banning.

Burt - gun owner

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Dahl View Post
    Belinda, I am not sure how this would specifically be a problem for hunters but maybe I am missing something?
    It seems that the bill is requiring that you have a license to buy a handgun or a semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device.
    I don't want to get into a political discussion either. I own firearms but I don't see how this legislation would a burden on me. I could be wrong since legal language is a bit confusing but I think this applies when you buy a weapon, not for what you already own.
    Ben
    Understood Ben. One point that concerned me is the section that requires any gun to be locked away in a home with a child under 18. (paraphrased, I don't remember exact wording). That just seems a little extreme to me Don't jump on me, I understand the danger to small children, but know lots of young men and women who have unloaded shotguns, etc., on a rack in their room.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Its been stated that the objective of the anti gun crowd (no I'm not gonna go look for it, you'll have to trust me, look yourself or just disreguard my statement) anyway, its been stated the goal is to remove all guns from the public.
    That's you hunters too.

So you may be safe today, but I wouldn't bet on tomm....imho

Al...yup another gun owner/carry permit included
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Did I miss something? Where in all that does it tell you what guns (broad statement) are. Could we have issues with a nail, staple gun or a ramset? I don't want a polictial prombem here on the Creek either. I was just rambling with my two cent worth.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    One point that concerned me is the section that requires any gun to be locked away in a home with a child under 18. (paraphrased, I don't remember exact wording).
    If I read it right, it says you have to take a written test of safe storage practices and certify that you will store your firearms safely; I don't read it as requiring any specific locking practices.

As a parent, reading about all these kids taking guns to school that their parents haven't secured properly, and working in a city that has historically had one of the higher murder rates in the country, I'm not sure I have a problem with that.

Before anyone jumps on me, I own two Sigs and a Beretta.

Then again, maybe you should jump on me because I don't hunt and have no pretensions or aspirations about defending my hearth and home from burglars or foreign invaders. I just like loud noises and stuff blowing up.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sewell View Post
    Did I miss something? Where in all that does it tell you what guns (broad statement) are. Could we have issues with a nail, staple gun or a ramset? I don't want a polictial prombem here on the Creek either. I was just rambling with my two cent worth.

Doug
    Maybe the term "Firearm" in the title?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    If I read it right, it says you have to take a written test of safe storage practices and certify that you will store your firearms safely; I don't read it as requiring any specific locking practices.
    Matter of interpretation I suppose Eric. To me "secured storage or safety device" means a lock.

Bella Terra

OK , you got me I flat out missed the ''firearm'' thing. It's been a rough day. Ramsets required a gun permit in the state of Mass. when I lived there but its been a long time ago. I'm just asking where does Uncle Sam draw the line. Its always up to the lawyers, nothing is ever cut and dry with the feds.

To me "secured storage or safety device" means a lock.
    That section is an exemption to liability if your child shoots someone with your firearm or if you have knowingly or recklessly disregarded the risk that a child could have access to a firearm (and that its illegal or you have knowingly or recklessly disregarded the risk your child will shoot someone).

In other words, "secured storage or safety device" is a safe harbor. It is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    That section is an exemption to liability if your child shoots someone with your firearm or if you have knowingly or recklessly disregarded the risk that a child could have access to a firearm (and that its illegal or you have knowingly or recklessly disregarded the risk your child will shoot someone).

In other words, "secured storage or safety device" is a safe harbor. It is not required.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Eric. I don't speak fluent legalese.

BTW, I brought this up to the hunting community simply because most hunters own guns, unless they are strictly bow hunters, of course.

Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Understood Ben. One point that concerned me is the section that requires any gun to be locked away in a home with a child under 18. (paraphrased, I don't remember exact wording). That just seems a little extreme to me Don't jump on me, I understand the danger to small children, but know lots of young men and women who have unloaded shotguns, etc., on a rack in their room.
    As a matter of safety, all firearms should be under lock and key at all times except when they are being used. More people are shot with unloaded guns each year than you would believe. Displaying a gun doesn't preclude that it be locked or in a locked rack.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for clearing that up for me Eric. I don't speak fluent legalese.

BTW, I brought this up to the hunting community simply because most hunters own guns, unless they are strictly bow hunters, of course.
    I'm an arrow hunter.
    Never lost a bow.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH