Thread: TS blade runout specs?

TS blade runout specs?

Do the manufactures post this information on blade wobble? I have Freud blade that wobbles to naked eye. With a dial indicator it show about a .025 wobble.

This seems excessive to me...thoughts?

I checked the arbor runout and it fine at about .0015.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

Make sure there is no saw dust behind the blade.

Blog Entries
    I would say either your blade is not mouted correcly, has dirt on it or it has been damaged. I would guess a blade would be flat within a few thousandths of an inch or less after grinding. Most saw arbors are not as flat as a blade would be on its own.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Freud stands behind their products pretty aggressively. I wouldn't hesitate to call on them or PM Charles McCracken; a member here who works for Freud.

I don't know the formula to determine what .0015 becomes once you go four inches farther out from center but, .025 is definitely visible. It is surprising how much effect a small speck of wood between arbor and blade will have at the outer edge. I would check that.

Forrest talks about how they tension their plates and straighten and re-straighten the blade throughout the manufacturing process. I imagine other quality blades do as well. I have returned Oldham and Bosch 10" blades due to obvious poor quality before ever making a cut but my Freud blades have not had issues with 'flatness'.

Please let us know what you find out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi all..and thank you for the comments.

I cleaned the arbor and flange and blade area with steel wool and the runout was about .0015 so I'm guessing the blade has an issue. I'm thinking that this might have a been a blade that did a serious kicked back last year and maybe that sprung it funny.

######################

Ah, the REST OF THE STORY! Kickbacks do create much energy. A good thing the blade absorbed most of it instead of *you!* Warp that you discribe should be easily detected with a straight edge across the blade. Freud may STILL stand behind the blade, with their *limited lifetime warranty*.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

In "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler it says the arbor runout should always be less than .001 in. Total runout (measured at the outside of the blade when mounted) is considered to be "excessive" if more than .006 inches. (page #88) He describes this in his seminars as well.

He recommends that the arbor be flattened by a machinist if runout is beyond .001 inch.
    ---------
    I checked my arbor with a dial gauge and couldn't detect any runout. Sounds like the problem may be the blade and the arbor.
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by matt dumney View Post
    Do the manufactures post this information on blade wobble? I have Freud blade that wobbles to naked eye. With a dial indicator it show about a .025 wobble.

This seems excessive to me...thoughts?

I checked the arbor runout and it fine at about .0015.
    Matt,

Freud blades should have total run out of +/-0.003" (some are spec'd less than that). Is the wobble that you witnessed occurring on start up, while running, on slow down or some combination of these? Which blade do you have and how does it perform? Are you using the stock outer washer?
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

spinning the blade with my hand...I went out and bought another cheaper diablo Freud blade. This one is definatley straighter. I did quick measure and it looks like .003-.004.
    Last edited by matt dumney; 03-02-2009 at 1:19 PM. Reason: Updated information

######################

Matt,

We would be happy to evaluate the blade for warranty. If there is a problem that was caused by kickback it would technically not qualify but please feel free to send it to us if you like:
    Freud America, Inc.
    218 Feld Ave.
    High Point, NC 27263
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Matt,

We would be happy to evaluate the blade for warranty. If there is a problem that was caused by kickback it would technically not qualify but please feel free to send it to us if you like:
    Freud America, Inc.
    218 Feld Ave.
    High Point, NC 27263

Thank you Charles but I don't think an evaluation is needed. I'm not knocking the blade...I recognize the Freud makes one of the best blades on the market. This one is not good but the problem is probably related to damage sustained during abnormal use.

My original question was how much runout is expected on a blade and I've learned that this one has too much. I purchased a cheaper Diablo blade and it's much straighter and now I need to continue my TS tuning "adventure"...or just buy new!!!

######################