Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: todays 450 lb Sycamore Rough out

Wow. I guess you use a 55 gal. drum for the DNA soak, huh?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Amazing

Joe that is an amazing piece of work. I hope you post pics of the hollowing process and the finished product. You should sell some of those pics to Robust as a testament for the capacity of their lathes.

Keep us posted on progress

Kirk
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Man,
    I bet that baby sent you to the sharpener a few times.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

That's impressive. I'm so inspired, I think I will go out today and turn one even bigger on my mini lathe. I can do it...I'm sure I can!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Joe,
    You implied that you do use a hollowing rig. If that's the case, which one, or what is it?

Thanks,
    Burt

Joe:
    I can't wait to see this monster finished. Show us the pics of this thing when your done.

All the best.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Joe - like the others - I am most impressed with the overall size and weight of the wood you are turning! I know you have been turning quite a few of these very large pieces and am curious as to how well the bearings in the lathe are holding up?
    Steve
    So far so Good with the bearings. So far there is no signs of any wear, no play or noise at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Wow. I guess you use a 55 gal. drum for the DNA soak, huh?
    Never use the stuff. air dry only.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptan J.W. Meek View Post
    That is awesome.. my experience with sycamore was wet as well. It seems to hold an enourmous amount of water when it's fresh green.. but I also experienced alot of movement.. fortunaltly not alot of checking, but trying to cut spindle pieces on the table saw, I could actually watch it warp!.. I could see the "Middle" of the piece about 16" long grow away from the fence! Good luck with that monster... If it goes well, it will be fantastic.
    This is the 1st time turnig Sycamore, so were not sure what to expect as far as movement & checking. But were keeping our fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Man,
    I bet that baby sent you to the sharpener a few times.
    Dewy
    Actually I sharpened before I started the turning and did not resharpen at all during the turning process.

Plain sawn sycamore boards move a LOT when drying. Obviously this correlates with the high water content and also the interlocking grain. Fortunately, your piece balances the forces by centering the pith. My guess is that you will be fine until you hollow it; then you will get a distinctly oval shape.

Wink

Hi Joe. That looks like a lot of fun and, like the rest, I'd like to see a picture when it is chucked and ready for hollowing. Sounds like you are not in a hurry to tell us, who are really curious, what hollowing system you will use
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

Holowing system

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Storey View Post
    Hi Joe. That looks like a lot of fun and, like the rest, I'd like to see a picture when it is chucked and ready for hollowing. Sounds like you are not in a hurry to tell us, who are really curious, what hollowing system you will use
    Tom
    We use a hollowing system that is designed & built by my friend. It's a captured boring bar system that uses two 1 1/8" dia. bars, and a free standing capture trap system.

Joe, that is amazing! You have got me thinking, my neighbor has this 50+" dia. tree and if I take the drive train from my wife's car----.
    Can't wait to see the finished product. I do envy you guys with the big lathes and the ambition for projects like yours. Thanks for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    Steve
    So far so Good with the bearings. So far there is no signs of any wear, no play or noise at all.

A friend of mine is going to sell a huge old Oliver, If you are interested I'll PM his number.