Thread: A bit of She-oak, add some brass and ...

A bit of She-oak, add some brass and ...

I decided to make another brace. This is small, to be used as would an eggbeater, such as for drilling holes for screws. It can also be used as a driver.

The total length is 400mm (15 3/4") with a 100mm (4") throw.

Materials: West Australian She-oak body and Tasmanian Blackwood pad.

The pad ...

An old, rusty Stanley brace sacrificed itself for the upper connection. This turns so sweetly.

Finally, the chuck is made from a spring-loaded clip-on driver holder. I wire brushed the anodising back to a steel finish.

Construction: I turned the pad on my lathe. After bandsawing out the basic shape, the final body shape was achieved with rasps and scrapers. The She-oak is so hard and interlocked that my spokeshaves just bounced off! Sandpaper to smooth. Oil and shellac to finish.

Thanks for looking.

Regards from Perth

Derek

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Wow Derek! That is beautiful!

200 years from now somebody will have that in their prized collection.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

WOW,
    Nice work. You might be the first one I have seen to actually build one of these. It is a beauty!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Beautiful

Derek,
    You do such really fine beautiful work. Your tools are great!
    Berl

That's really a great looking tool! You comment in many of your reviews and posts about the hardness of the native Aussie woods - what is with that? Seems like most all of your available hardwoods are, well, HARD! Is it the climate, soil - just curious. As I have commented before, although I think they are beautiful, I never work in exotics, so their characteristics are intriguing.

Blog Entries
    Great work and it looks like it works great.

jim

Beautiful job as always, Derek. I really like the curve.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    That's really a great looking tool! You comment in many of your reviews and posts about the hardness of the native Aussie woods - what is with that? Seems like most all of your available hardwoods are, well, HARD! Is it the climate, soil - just curious. As I have commented before, although I think they are beautiful, I never work in exotics, so their characteristics are intriguing.
    Hi John

We have a lot of eucalypts. It is not just that they are hard (and they are very hard - see below) - they also have short, interlinked grain that frequently reverses. This is what makes it so important to plane with a high cutting angle. It really sorts the men from the boys (apologies for a sexist comment).

Here is a link to a list of international timbers. You can look up their hardness/density ratings, etc:
    http://www.worldwideflood.com/ark/wood/timber_list.htm

I frequently use Jarrah (hardness rated here at 8.5), Karri (9.0) and She-oak (14). By comparison, look at the ratings for USA Sugar Pine (1.2), Poplar (2.3), White Oak (6.0) and hard Maple (6.9).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow, I thoutht Maple was hard. It's not even close to your stuff. That stuff would be like tring to plane tangled twisted wire. Gives me a whole new appreciation for SYP and Poplar.

Berl

Your work

Keep the posts coming, I enjoy your work and comments.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I frequently use Jarrah (hardness rated here at 8.5), Karri (9.0) and She-oak (14). By comparison, look at the ratings for USA Sugar Pine (1.2), Poplar (2.3), White Oak (6.0) and hard Maple (6.9).
    I can envision my router bits exploding on contact!! Oooppss, shouldn't have said that in the Neander forum!

"I frequently use Jarrah (hardness rated here at 8.5), Karri (9.0) and She-oak (14). By comparison, look at the ratings for USA Sugar Pine (1.2), Poplar (2.3), White Oak (6.0) and hard Maple (6.9)."

Interesting - I'm guessing that she-oak is also very interlocked and nearly impossible to split, hence you can get away with the beautiful form of that brace. Most all of the beech, hard maple, and birch antiques I've either owned or had the privelege of handling have a rather thick web where the handle turns out and then back in, presumably to prevent the brace from splitting in two when pressure is applied to the head.

David

You will just have to take my word that this brace body could have been made even thinner and it still would not flex with a half dozen adults standing on the pad and jumping up and down!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Talking

Hey Derek. Have a bit of an idea for you. Why don't you send me the brace. I'll just copy the pattern, try it out for a year or two, then send it right back to you. (Laughing up my sleeve.)
    Well done!
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Bill

You got a deal

Regards from Perth

Derek