Thread: Powermatic 6" or Grizzly 8" Jointer w/spiral cutter heads?

Powermatic 6" or Grizzly 8" Jointer w/spiral cutter heads?

Hi,

I am currently in the market for my first jointer and planer. I have finally found a space to rent 10' x 18', so it's not huge, but it will do for awhile. I am a finishing carpenter, so until now, I've always worked on site, but I am having to turn down more and more custom millwork and furniture projects, due to lack of space and tools. Hence the reason for my current quest.

I use alot of reclaimed wood, so I want a helical cutter head. I was hoping to get a combo unit, but I cant find one at my price point that I'm happy with. So, I'm looking at either the Powermatic 54HH or the Grizzly 0593 (about $300 cheaper). I have seen alot of recommendations for the Grizzly 0490, but I dont have 220v, and I wont know when I'll get into a shop space that does.

Any thoughts on my first planer? Preferrably with a helical cutter head.

Where are people buying their Byrd heads? I was on their website, and for the machines that I've looked at, they are usually around $1000, which, for me, makes it too pricey as an aftermarket upgrade.

Thanks for any advice that you can give.

As, I think, most would agree, you will get more *bang for the buck* with the Grizzly 8" with their own insert head factory intalled. Powermatic will have better resale value, but that is a moot point if you plan on using this jointer for years. Might as well bite the bullet, and cry once! Order the Grizzly jointer with insert head rather than waste bucks retrofitting later.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I can't address which one jointer but there are two topics most agree on here: Everyone feels a Bosch jigsaw is great, and get an 8" jointer rather than a 6". I have the G0586 220v w/o spiral.

I have the 0490X and love it. Right out of the box it was pretty much dead on and only required minimal adjustments. The spiral cutterhead is great and plows through the hardest of wood with ease. Powermatic makes great stuff if you're willing to pay for it, I just couldnt see getting a smaller tool for MORE money so I went with the Grizz. No regrets.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I agree with Jim. I did a lot of reading and looking before I bought my GO490X. Got it together today, and ran a few boards across it. A little louder than expected, but it passed the nickel test. I have a 6” Jet, and I needed the longer bed more that the width. I t only took one board across it to know the Jet was not in the same ballpark. I would have paid more for one made in the USA, but I could not find one made in the USA.
    paul

Grizzly!!!

And if the shop has power then it should have a breaker box you could wire up a 220v.

I just installed a Byrd head in my PM 54. Paid $265 from Grizzly. Don't know what planer you are considering, but a Byrd head for a DeWalt 735 runs about $450. Straight carbide knives for that machine, IIRC, run about $250.

For your purposes, if you go with a 6" jointer, you will find yourself wanting for a wider jointer. The only reason I didn't spring for a PM 60 is space considerations. If you have the space and can meet the power requirements, 8" is the way to go.

I just recieved my new PM 15HH a couple of weeks ago. After lots of adjusting, including belt alignment that takes a contortionist to reach all the bolts, I love the finish on the wood. However, the fit, finish and machining don't look like any kind of "high end" machine. The PM "mobile base" is four wheels to move the machine forward and backward, no swivel. Just another irritation about the PM, since now I have to spring for a true mobile base for it.

I've had an 8" Grizzly jointer for over 5 years that I bought used, and it's been one solid performer. I should recieve my new 12" Grizzly jointer today (G0609). I ordered the Byrd head for it, which came Thursday. The head's being returned, due to one insert being broken (I think from over torque of the screw, since it actually shattered, leaving lots of little pieces in the box), many inserts that are visibly seated differently, and the very poor machining for the insert to rest on, and will let the insert seat 3 different ways (for the one I took out to inspect). It also took a great deal of strength to remove the torx screw from the new head, but on the planer head the screw came out much easier. I'm afraid to even be around if that new head is rotating on a machine. There's no telling what may happen. It may be fine, but I don't think so. It's very different than the Byrd head on my planer, which looks nearly perfect, and the inserts will only seat one way. I'm hoping this is an isolated incident, as I think the Byrd gives the best finish of all the spiral heads, and Grizzly's sending me a new one.

With that said, I wish I had saved a few hundred dollars on the planer and gone with the Grizzly and the Byrd head for it.

Anyone need PM non-swiveling wheels for their planer?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would take the Powermatic 6" over the Grizzly 8". In my experience the Powermatic will have better fit & finish, exceptional customer service, no shipping nightmares, better resale, and will outlive the Grizzly. I have the Powermatic 54HH and love it, never wished I had anything else. I'm sure the Grizzly is a very usable tool, but I don't consider it on the same level as Powermatic.