Thread: Hardwood Sources in Central Florida

Hardwood Sources in Central Florida

I'm having trouble finding good hardwood sources in the Central Florida area. I'm mostly interested in the "common" varieties: oak, maple, cherry, walnut, mahogany, etc. I would prefer rough lumber as I like to mill it myself as I build. I'm in the Orlando area, but I don't mind driving 100 or more miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike, I live in Ft. Pierce. There is a very good supplier of hardwood about 8 miles north of Vero Beach, in Gibson. It is Sturgiss Lumber Co. They are on the west side of US1. I have lived here 35 years, and they have been here at least that long. I occasionally make the 30 or so mile trek up there and get what I need. Call them first, and see if they have what you need. If they do, take the turnpike to Yehaw, then east on FL60 to US1, then north about 8 miles or so. There is a big watertower close to them for a landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Adger View Post
    Mike, I live in Ft. Pierce. There is a very good supplier of hardwood about 8 miles north of Vero Beach, in Gibson. It is Sturgiss Lumber Co. They are on the west side of US1. I have lived here 35 years, and they have been here at least that long. I occasionally make the 30 or so mile trek up there and get what I need. Call them first, and see if they have what you need. If they do, take the turnpike to Yehaw, then east on FL60 to US1, then north about 8 miles or so. There is a big watertower close to them for a landmark.
    Thats not all that far from melbourne.

I didn't ask but thank you very much for the info.

There is a hard wood and cabinet shop supplier here in melbourne but I sure like the idea of having a second option.

Mike:
    I almost forgot. There is a place in melbourne called Building materials center. their number is 321 723 8246 or 321 723 5224. they have hard woods but you should call first. they have sheet goods also. can take 192 straight into melbourne, turn north on whickam rd (there is a winn dixie on the corner on the left side) take a left on ellis rd ( only a couple of miles north of wickam) and then a right on distribution. they are on the right side.
    Last edited by keith ouellette; 02-28-2009 at 7:21 PM.

I live in Weeki Wachi Florida, due west of you.
    I go to Homasassa Springs 20 Miles north of me on US 19
    Very good lumber and fair price.

Triton Lumber 352-628-1400
    www.tritonlumber.com

I wasn't aware of any of those. Thanks guys, I will give them a call.

Mike,

Amazon Exotic Hardwoods in Casselberry. He has domestics as well, but i don't remember if they're rough or s2s.

Earl
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

Sanford

Quality Plywood Specialties in Sanford, FL: 407-936-1955 also has a lot of nice hardwood in addition to a nice selection of veneers and sheetgoods. No connection except being a customer.

I earlier posted that Sturgis Lumber is in Gibson, just north of Vero Beach. This is not correct. It is Gifford. I guess I was either thinking of Hoot, the guitar, or a martini with onions. Probably the latter.