Thread: Term Wagon Vice?

Term Wagon Vice?

Does anyone know where the term Wagon Vice came from. I really like these vices they look so stable.

Berl

Are you referring to the old vises that look like a leg vise without the leg? They could be screwed down to the back edge of a wagon without the leg hanging down. These type vises were even mounted on some military maintenance vehicles during WWII,on their back bumpers.

Could be what you are referring to George , but I have seen the term wagon vise used interchangeably with tail vise , so I'm thinking it's another handle for tail vise , or tail is another handle for wagon vise

4. I first saw the term in an early 20th century French workbench catalog from La Forge Royale. The vise has many names, including a sliding-dog vise.

I don't think the vise was used for wagon wheel work specifically. I don't know the history of the word. I can only guess.

Chris

Blog Entries

Just a thought & my 2¢

There are vises with chops or jaws. What comes to my mind with a wagon vice or a dog vise is the "carriage" like structure of the dog holder. It travels on a track and carries the dog for engagement of the work.

Carriage and wagon are closely associated words and without any knowledge of French, I could not say if this passes through translation.

This could be totally wrong, but sounds plausible.

jim