Thread: Kreg Jig Drawers

Kreg Jig Drawers

Simple and fast drawers can be made using the Kreg Jig. This method works great if doors are overlay style like in European cabinets. Here the faces are walnut, the sides, front and back are prefinished ApplePly (Like Baltic Birch)
    the bottom is melamine. A dado is ripped for the drawer bottom in the typical manner. The Sides run through ,so the pocket holes are cut in the front and back. Lengths are matched in pairs on the CMS using the stop. Roo melamine glue was used because of the prefinished surface. Drawers should be clamped with K Body type clamps prior to screwing the pocket holes to eliminate movement. The only finishing required is on the top and bottom edges of the drawer sides . The prefinished surface is great ...easy to clean and fast. Same is true of the melamine bottom. The drawer faces were cut with continuous grain in sets and edge bandedwith my little Freud Edgebander. Makes a strong easy to construct drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 07-12-2004 at 11:22 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi Mark,

You Posting machine! I love reading your post. You always have good information and are very helpful . I love my kreg jig. I definately would put it on the beginners short list due to its simplicity and versatility.

Thanks for sharing.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Kreg Jig Drawers

Mark,
    Good timing. I have to make some drawers for a platform bed I'm making and running out of time. I got out my Leigh Jig (which I had never used) and have been practicing making drawers but not sure my skill level and time will permit me to do it that way..

What is the thickness of the drawer sides? What length screws did you use. I'm sure by trial and error I could figure it out but what the heck. (The drawers will be 20" x 20" x 8"). I have the old style Leigh Jig; I know the new style, Kreg 2000, has adjustments for different thickness but I have to make my own spacers.

Regard, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Nice work! How does the pocket screw system hold up vs dovetail? What are the advantages?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Sides are 1/2" . The drawers are strong! You can sand away a bit of the finish so the gle absorbs better. Use 3 screws on deeper drawers

The melamine is 1/4" and when it is glued the lower part of the drawer is strong.

Hi Mark, That is a beautiful piece. Could you post a pic of the whole thing so we could see where the posts go and what they do? Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

This is a great idea for drawers where the athestics of dovetails are not required! I will likely use this idea for some utility cabinetry I plan on as it's really FAST, yet strong, and I don't care if there are dovetails to show off. I was going to use a locking joint for that project, but this is just the ticket!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Mark!

I need to get myself one of those Kreg Jigs. I realize that is does not guarantee that I will be able to do work as good as yours; but it is a small start in that direction.

If you use Accuride or Dynaslide guides add an extra 1/16" clearance and it will slide much better. So undersize the drawer 1 and 1/16" smaller than the carcass. I have done this for years ...I don't know why the instructions specify 1/2" per side ir 1" total...this tends to bind

Frank, If you need even more motivation to get a Kreg Jig, see if you can borrow Danny Proulx's book. He has a couple of projects in there I would have never thought would be a pocket hole project.
    http://www.cabinetmaking.com/pockethole.htm

Dave
    The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another

[QUOTE=Alan Tolchinsky]Hi Mark, That is a beautiful piece. Could you post a pic of the whole thing ....

Alan, here is a link to an earlier post that showed the entire closet design:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=princess

Joseph, With 1/2" thick material you use the small riser block that comes with the Kreg and 1" screws. My supplier didn't have 1" from Kreg so I used a 1" square drive woodworking screw. If the head is not flat but, beveled for countersinking it will pull in too deep. The Kreg screws are better if you can find them

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moran
    Frank, If you need even more motivation to get a Kreg Jig, see if you can borrow Danny Proulx's book. He has a couple of projects in there I would have never thought would be a pocket hole project.
    http://www.cabinetmaking.com/pockethole.htm

Dave
    Thanks Dave I will file away this reference. I don't need motivation; rather I need the time to do some woodworking instead of construction. When I get back to woodworking late this year or early next year, the Kreg Jig is right at the top of my list.

Hey I can do better than that. I just started my Christmas Want list for 2004, and placed the Kreg Jig on it.

Frank,
    I resisted it for quite a while thinking it wasn't in the realm of "fine woodworking" guess what....I use it all the time!