Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the real "skinny" on Grizzly cabinet saws?

What's the real "skinny" on Grizzly cabinet saws?

Well, I'm at a crossroads.

I've had a RIDGID contractor's saw for about 5 years, and it's a great machine. However, I've secretly lusted for a cabinet saw for the past year or so (though my wife might argue not so secretly!).

I was convinced that I wanted an old, used Powermatic 66, and have seen a few on Craigslist. Unfortunately, most of them have been 3-phase.

I've read a few posts from you folks with Grizzly machines. So, what's the real poop? For those who own a Grizzly cabinet saw, are they good? Has the cast-iron top stayed flat over time? Any major problems? Will the saw last me 50 years? Are the cast-iron router table extension wings anything to write home about?

For around $1200, the price certainly seems right. But I know you usually get what you pay for.

Jason

I've 'had the Grizzly 1023 with the 52" extension table for about 3 yrs. All I can tell you is I love it. The cast iron has stayed flat. Everything on it is true, one thing I did have problems with, the blade tilt was off .5*, but is an easy fix if you check it before you get it completely put together. I have never owned a PM66, but have used one a few times and for $1000 difference, this was a no brainer for me. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I'm a serious hobbyist. I've had a Grizzly 1023SL for about 4 years now and it's a gem. It's pretty much a clone of the Unisaw. I put a Biesemeyer drop in splitter in it without any modifications. The tables were flat when I got it. Checked with an expensive 36" machinist bar I bought for evaluating level/straight. Don't know about the 50yr result, that will have to wait, but from all indications, it's going to outlive me. From what I see here on the "creek" from owners it's a best bang for the buck machine but maybe a notch below top of the line performers. But the difference would be hard to detect. I know that when I was looking, several people who made their living using the TS were using the 1023SL and loved it. So Grizzly can't be that bad.

Greetings & Salutations,

I too have a 1023S and am soooo happy with it and what it does.

I have had mine for a little over 3 yrs now and that was when you could get it for $825 and because I ordered the saw, band saw, lathe, jointer and drill press all at the same time my total freight was only $200.

The only thing I regret and am going to remedy it very soon is that I did not get the 72" rail extensions for the table. The saw was very easy to setup and it is accurate and has stayed that way. I have less than .001 run out from the front to the back of the blade and I check it about once a week. Usually on Mon or Tue like a habit.

I have nothing but good things to say about all my Grizzly tools and have had only one or two minor problems but Grizzly's customer service and Tech support have been second to none as far as I am concerned. I think you will get excellent value for the money spent.

As to how much I use my saw I am in my shop usually 4 - 5 days every week building something whether it is remodeling something in the house or building some type of furniture. If I had unlimited resources I still think I would purchase Grizzly, maybe a more expensive unit but it would still be Grizzly green.

Thats my .02 worth anyway and as they say thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Gene
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure more 1023 owners will chime in as that TS has been as popular for Griz as the 490 has been for them in the jointer arena. After seeing several different machines I often wonder what that extra $1000 is supposed to be for(?). Don't get me wrong, griz seems to have a number of tool offerings where I would choose another manufacturer but, the 1023 seems to be one of the good ones.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-01-2009 at 11:11 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If I had my table saw shopping to do over again, I wouldn't let 3-phase scare me. Very often the price of a VFD is so low, a used 3-phase tool is a bargain even with the added gadgetry.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I chose to put my money into one of the last things made in America, a Unisaw.
    At least I know I will die happy.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-01-2009 at 3:01 PM. Reason: Removed unsubstantiated comment

Jason;
    I graduated from a Crapsman contractors saw to a Griz 1023 a number of years ago. I've never had the pleasure of using one of the big Generals or Powermatics, so I can't really say how the 1023 would stack up. That said, my 1023 with the Biesemeyer fence I put on it, is my favorite shop tool. I can't imagine needing a better/bigger saw for the kind of woodworking I do.

As for lasting 50 years --- I'm 58 now and I'm pretty sure, barring a major disaster, that my 1023 will outlive me. It's 10-11 years old now and still going strong.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Elore; 03-01-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling

I have the Shop Fox

I have the Shop Fox version of the Grizzly 1023, and love it. I read and understand Sonny's point about the Unisaw. I look at this as a Time/Money issue. I would love....LOVE to buy an old Unisaw and restore it, but I don't have the time (or the skill level). I would really love to buy a PM 66, or Sawstop (but I can affort the cost). Griz offers a very good saw at a very competative price. It is nice to buy a new saw, put it together, and get working. Now, if I could find the Unisaw or PM 66 at the right price, in great working order, I would probably prefer that, but that doesn't matter, because I have my saw now, and I am very happy.

Good luck on your search. I hope you know what you want, then find what you are looking for.

how are you having trouble finding used PM66s and Unisaws?

in this day and age with cabinet shops going out of business left and right, i would think there'd be a multitude of them for sale.

I have had a 1023SL for about five years now. Out of the crate, everything was true and accurate. After breaking in the belt, it passed the "nickel" test no problem. (Start it with a nickel standing on edge and it doesn't tip over) Virtually no vibration, which was such a pleasure after my previous saw. There is no comparison.

Greg

I have a 1023Z from Grizz (purchased in 2000) that is still going fine today. In fact, it still has the original belts on it! However, I've got my Snarfer (RSS reader) combing eBay and CL for used Sawstops and I would pick on of those up in a heartbeat if I could find one. I am only doing this due to the economy and potential availability. Otherwise, I cannot complain about my Grizz TS...it has been perfect.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The Griz 1023 has a huge happy following....honestly, it's got to be one of the most popular cab saw purchases of those bought in the last 8-10 years. I've used two 1023s that were great, and now own a nearly identical Shop Fox W1677 that's also great. I've used a Jet 3hp cab saw, and honestly didn't notice much difference between them all. I think you'd have to get into a PM66, General 350/650, Saw Stop, or old Uni to do much better.

At this point, I'd be tempted by the new G0690/G0691 over the 1023....riving knife and updated fence. Either way, if a Griz cab saw floats your boat, no reason not to go with one.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I still have one of the last "real" Biesemeyer fences that I picked up on closeout at Lowe's for super cheap some months back. Been saving it for when I get a cabinet saw.

Anybody know if this will fit the Grizzly without any major modifications?

Also, is a real Biesemeyer any better than the stock Grizzly fence? I know it's a clone, but the plastic faces look nice and slick.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-01-2009 at 4:05 PM.

on the subject of Grizzly

Any one seen one of these in action yet?

http://www.grizzly.com/images/catalog/2009/main/029.jpg