Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fun Boat Project

"2nd Miss Take"

I love it! Wonder what the 1st was?

Wonder what the 1st was?
    A sailboat he built when he was 13...... Those old swedes had a pretty good sense humor. Actually I have the mast from that sailboat as a flagpole in my front yard. Beautiful clear spruce, almost 75 years old now and still straight and strong.

When I was growing up, we had a small Chris Craft cabin cruiser that was named "Happy Hours"..... and the dinghy was named "Anxious Moments"....

Greg

Greg,

I really enjoyed the "photo essay" on the boat restoration. That dog seemed to really change his/her attitude once he got to go for a ride .

I am doing some on the job training in glass work building my first kayak. last time I did fiberglass work I was 12 building a skateboard. Good thing I have friends that are surfboard builders.

Boat looks great and has enough wood to qualify on a woodworker forum for sure!

July and a jacket and gloves!!?? That's messed up

WOW that was a fun read. Love all the old history you brought with it.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Angus,
    Thank you for the kind words.

Johnny,
    There was a LOT of on the job training for us with this project. Our mantra was.... "Remember, this is only a fishing boat." It's probably a good thing that I don't have a good camera... As far as our dog, we had to put him down last June. He was a great boat dog. He insisted to go any time he heard somebody was going out in the boat. My son and I were just reflecting on the time he was with us and we got into a pretty nasty blow. It was a very wet and bumpy ride. He propped himself up with his front paws on the fish box and was just getting soaked. He kept looking around at us to make sure everything was ok and then his expression would change. It was like he was reassured when he saw us with a smile on our faces and then he got this look like "Boy, am I gonna have a good story when we get in.....". When we got in, he really did look a like he was proud of his accomplishment. We do miss him.

July and a jacket and gloves!!?? That's messed up
    Oh and to set the record straight, I have the captions above the photos. The jacket and gloves were in November. The picture below is for July when my son is holding up his king. He is in short sleeves. We don't wear jackets and gloves in July..... sometimes .

Greg

i really really enjoyed this thread. good on you.

BTW...ive been restoring an old glass sport fish for the last ten years....it has some wood on it now too.

Thanks Randall. I hope you will share pics of your project.

Greg

WOW, very cool

Joe,
    Thank you for your kind response. Coincidentally, my son is coming up for Father's Day weekend and we are going to do some mods to the boat. We are going to fair out the bottom where we had a bit of buildup when replacing the transom. This created a trim problem that we can easily solve (with more glass and weight ). Plus we are going to put on some bottom paint. I am just looking forward to the time together. He claims to make the best martini known to man..... and I'm not gonna argue with him . We also look forward to watching old Mash episodes from the complete set that he gave me a while back. We call it Mash & Martinis.... I'm looking forward to a great weekend . We are going to work our butts off.... but the time together is priceless!

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Johnson; 06-16-2009 at 11:53 PM.

super

hey very nice man. it was very fun and innovative to read the article. keep posting articles like this. it will educate people like me. thank you very much

That was a good one. Thanks for the post.
    Theo