Thread: weekend lathe mod under $10

weekend lathe mod under $10

made the motor controls a bit more mobile for that scary big out of round piece your not sure you want to be next to the headstock for. been wanting to do this for a while, just never put the wheels in motion. all it takes is a 3/4 conduit access box, a magnet and whatever length of sprinkler timer wire you want. all can be found at one of those big stores for under 10 bucks. the only think i might change is to get a kill switch to remount where the original one was, my hand keeps on wanting to go there from habit.

heres one from out of bark flinging range

the grey cover is where i want to put another kill switch and heres how i can hang it wherever, on a movable magnet.

oh, i also finished this this weekend.

good idea, i have been wondering how to do that

Looks like your mod should work real nice Chris! Great job on the steady rest!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

great job on both, looks like you are ready to start doing some hollow forms. Keep up the pictures.

Nice work, I sure could have used your steady rest today!

thanks guys, the idea came from someone with a pm3520, so it will work just the same on that lathe.

...the idea came from someone with a pm3520, so it will work just the same on that lathe
    Who? That's something I'd like to do on mine.

Burt

Nice work on both projects! So what sort of cable did you use to extend the control wires? I have a 3520 on the way, but would love to do something like this to it too. Nice job. I have a couple of those magnets around that I thought would make my light hold onto the lathe better....I got a lamp from packard when it didn't.

i used the standard sprinkler timer wire. it has 7 diff color wires bundled in it so it makes it easy not mix up the wires. it is much smaller than the 3/4 hole, but everything is in there so tight, i'm really not worried about it coming loose.

Great job, Chris. Like many of us, I'm not too thrilled with having to reach around the workpiece to shut things off when something goes off kilter. I admire your initiative.

Very nice, Chris. I have the same on my Stubby and it's wonderful to be able to move it around where it's most convenient for both functional and safety reasons. (Mine has the magnet right on the control box)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great mod and a sturdy looking steady....Bill...

Hey Chris, Nice idea with the control, we have one of those on the laguna lathe in my shop at school. But what I'm interested in is that steady rest. I got a JWL1236, you think that the plans from yours would fit the same on mine? maybe you could send me them in a message?