Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Padilla's Garage Gut/Remodel

Now, I know you wanted to say was really .

OK - from the NEC (Article 100 - Definitions) : "Raceway - An enclosed channel of metal or nonmetallic materials ...". By definition, your wooden chase can't be a raceway.

BTW - if you're back to running a "40 amp subpanel, with a 40 amp breaker in it" - I'd ask your AHJ about that. They may give you grief about having a subpanel with a 100% load running off of it. If you have the 8/3, run a subpanel for the lighting and receptacles (you do need a convenience receptacle out by the A/C unit) and a separate 8/3 run straight to the A/C and a outdoor weatherproof disconnect switch (not a subpanel).

Yeah, we are a clean and friendly community here...no need for that kind of language to be printed...but I can sure think it!

Okay, no raceway...whew!

I currently have a "40 A subpanel with a 40 A breaker in it (and two 15 A breakers)" so I guess I'll need to get clarification for this. Too bad my 8/3 is NM or this subpanel just became a 50 A one and no worries.... So close yet so far.... Hmm, maybe I'll go price a ~40' run of non-NM 8/3 that can take a 50 A breaker. What kind of 8/3 will I need to look for, Rob?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Yeah, we are a clean and friendly community here...no need for that kind of language to be printed...but I can sure think it!

Okay, no raceway...whew!

I currently have a "40 A subpanel with a 40 A breaker in it (and two 15 A breakers)" so I guess I'll need to get clarification for this. Too bad my 8/3 is NM or this subpanel just became a 50 A one and no worries.... So close yet so far.... Hmm, maybe I'll go price a ~40' run of non-NM 8/3 that can take a 50 A breaker. What kind of 8/3 will I need to look for, Rob?
    Ask the AHJ if you can "relocate" the existing 40 amp subpanel and whether there are any restrictions on relocating it. That's the easiest route. If your area has adopted updated code since that sub was installed, they may disallow the 40 in a 40.

If you want to run a larger subpanel, SER (aluminum) #6 is good for 50 amps, SER #4 is good for 60 amps. If you go with NM, #6 is good for 55 amps, #4 is good for 70. SER is cheaper than NM.

Rob,

Perhaps I should make it clearer about this subpanel. I bought this (100 A rated, I'm pretty sure) subpanel two years ago to add a few circuits to my garage when I did a bathroom remodel (they share a wall with the house panel).

Now that I'm pulling all the garage circuits from the main panel, I no longer need this new 100 A subpanel until I came up with the bright idea to use it as an "A/C" sub-panel and run it with the 8/3 NM feeder.

Now I'm thinking to replace the 8/3 NM feeder with something that can be protected with a 50 A breaker in the main. Then I can use the 8/3 NM protected with a 40 A breaker to run to the A/C.

Clear as mud now?

(I was only calling it a 40 A subpanel 'cause it is [currently] protected off the main via a 40 A breaker...sorry for the confusion)

Would that be Mississippi Mud or California Mud, what about a Mud Pie?
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Mudslide!...we get those here!

Mudslide!...we get those here!
    Isn't that a beverage to be taken internally after working your buns off in the shop construction??

Rob,

I found some 6/3 NM for $1.39/ft. at local h/w store...will check the borg and see what they have. I think I will replace the 8/3 feeding the sub-panel and "do it right" and sleep better at night. The "40-40" never really sat well but I will correct it now. Being a cheapa$$ was invading my thoughts here...this darn garage project really is adding up.

Stealth gloat, a VERY LARGE BOX (weighing nearly a 1/2 ton) will be showing up at the house between 10-12 Monday morning. It is coming from Austin, TX, but was originally built over in Europe....

Stealth gloat, a VERY LARGE BOX (weighing nearly a 1/2 ton) will be showing up at the house between 10-12 Monday morning. It is coming from Austin, TX, but was originally built over in Europe....
    'Hope you arranged for lift-gate service! (Congratulations...)

I found some 6/3 NM for $1.39/ft. at local h/w store...will check the borg and see what they have. I think I will replace the 8/3 feeding the sub-panel and "do it right" and sleep better at night. The "40-40" never really sat well but I will correct it now. Being a cheapa$$ was invading my thoughts here...this darn garage project really is adding up.
    6/3 NM will allow you to run a 55 amp subpanel. Given standard breaker sizes, that means a 50 amp sub. FYI, if you ran plastic conduit and pulled #6 THHN/THWN, you'd be able to run a 60 amp sub.

Only 1/2 a ton? Piece of cake! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Only 1/2 a ton? Piece of cake! Congrats.
    Yeah, I'll have to really work it getting it through my 15' wide garage door but the slope on my driveway...now that's killer!

[THREADJACK]

Yeah, I'll have to really work it getting it through my 15' wide garage door but the slope on my driveway...now that's killer!
    Chris, You want steep? I'm attaching a picture of the driver getting my machines off the truck. I had specified liftgate delivery. Our driveway is so steep that he couldn't get the machines up the inside off the trailer onto the liftgate. He parked in the street, got the machine down onto the liftgate, and then backed up the driveway with the machine as shown.

Be still my beating heart!

Rob

[/THREADJACK]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fs41

Chris,
    Congrats on the MM finally docking. I have had mine up and running for a little while now and all I can say is it is a beautiful machine. I am not sure what phase machine you have but my 3 phase one has two feed speeds for plannning. One is slower, but not that slow, and the other is amazingly fast. I can put a 6 foot board in one side and by the time I walk over to the other side it is through. Oh by the way not one bit of snipe anywhere!

Haven't posted much lately on the Garage Gut.

Well, I've made enough progress that the FS-41 Elite needed to finally come out of its owner-induced coma! It is in my way and not easy to drag around while on the crate so I finally had some fun and took it out! You can see a large 500' spool of 2+2 Telecom cable that I'm planning to install.

The next 3 pics show some shots of the new partion wall that I put in to keep the washer/dryer area clean. I've got it all wired, plumbed water and drain/vent for the sink that will go right next to the door. I've also put in a 38" Channel Vision distribution panel for the 2+2 wiring that I will get to one of these days.

And, a parting shot of the monster J/P.

Few more shots.