Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Padilla's Garage Gut/Remodel

Chris,

That is really looking great!! Terific floor!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Chris, it looks great! A lot of work, but big pay off. Nice job.

hahaha...only us West Coasters up this late!

Yes, the floor will be smooth (could be slippery when wet but well-placed mats can help that) and very, very easy to clean up. Most substance will not penetrate that paint I put down (I hope...we'll see) so the floor should look nice for a long, long time...I hope!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Nice looking florr (and shop) Chris. Now, when do you expect to have the place filled with tools and operational?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I did not use any flexible hose between the compressor and the galvanized pipe. What will happen over time as a result of me not doing this?
    Adding a flexible hose connection between the hard piping will prevent the system from developing a leak due to the vibration. Which will happen eventually. It mechanically isolates the system from the compressor which will also reduce noise and surges.

Nice lookin floor Chris. What was the name and the properties of the paint you selected? What swayed you over going to the local Borg and buying something? I get my ceiling and walls finished, painted and then I must make a decision on the floor....paint/not paint.....how to remove sealer.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That looks GREAT, Chris!! Now...time to make some sawdust so you can start using some of that wonderful lumber inventory in the dining room...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris,

Great job!! That should last a long while.

Jon

Chris, looking at those pictures, it looks like you have the same "problem" with your garage that I do: those footings/curbs/whatevers that run down each side between the floor and the wall. Anybody got a suggestion for a neat way to finish them off?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Nice looking florr (and shop) Chris. Now, when do you expect to have the place filled with tools and operational?
    Well, you know I have the tools but now I need storage cabinets, wall mounts, and the DC to go in next. In fact, the DC is next; time to dig it out of the corner of the shed (that won't be fun ) and start figuring out how I'm gonna mount it, wire it, and then run either metal or plastic duct to it....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Nice lookin floor Chris. What was the name and the properties of the paint you selected? What swayed you over going to the local Borg and buying something? I get my ceiling and walls finished, painted and then I must make a decision on the floor....paint/not paint.....how to remove sealer.......
    I put the URL of the place I got the 'paint' from in my 3-4 posts...check it out. Anyway, it is called Duracoat and it comes in 6-8 colors I think. I chose Light Grey to more or less match the concrete color.

Why did I choose this product? To be honest, I got a flyer in the mail and ended up just ordering it! Pretty risky on my part and to this day, I'm not sure why I did it...weak moment I suspect. So far, it appears to be doing what they said it would do. Only time will tell.

If you want a product with more stance behind it, I highly suggest you look at http://www.ucoatit.com/mainprod.html. Now this product I've read a lot of posts on in the BMW forum I moderate as lots of the guys there have done their garage floors with it and are quite happy. I didn't get this product because I had already purchased the Duracoat and by golly, I was going to lay it down regardless!

One thing to keep in mind with your area is water on the floor (i.e. snow in the winter). The reason this floor is easy to take care of is because it is glossy and slick. Nothing will stick to it and according to the manufacturer, very few things will penetrate it once fully cured (24 hours). They suggest broadcasting sand of some kind on the floor in area you want a bit of slip-resistance but that will make clean up a tad tougher, too. We don't have much snow in the Bay Area and even if things are a tad slick, I can always put mats down.

Looks really great, Chris. I may have to break down and do that to my shop to be. Got to get the electrical done first. Thanks for posting the info on the paint! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Chris, looking at those pictures, it looks like you have the same "problem" with your garage that I do: those footings/curbs/whatevers that run down each side between the floor and the wall. Anybody got a suggestion for a neat way to finish them off?
    Lee, assuming I have some paint leftover (and I should), I am going to go ahead and at least paint them so they'll match everything. After that, I probably won't do anything with them. The footings on the side of the garage with the little cubby hole storage area (under the stairs storage) should not be visible when I'm done anyway as I plan the DC and storage/bench stuff to go there along the whole wall.

Jim, Jon, Mark, and Jason...thanks for the kudos! I hope it works as advertised!