Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out this wild wood!

Norfolk Island Pine
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I don't know what kind of wood that you have turned but you hit the what to do with the wood when you get it - that is a very nice job it looks great

Jack

must be wonder wood,
    because you wonder what it is

nice bowl!

That is some beautiful wood all right. Sometimes the I dont know wood is the prettiest.

5. Wood id

Not sure what you have there but you can send a piece to the forest product lab in Madison WI. I attached the address of the page that talks about the process and procedure. You can just search Forest Products Lab as well and they have a menu item that lists wood id. My dad has done this several times including some pieces I brought back from Africa. nice bowl you have there.
    http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html

Seeing where you are located I'm going to guess that it is spalted blue pine ... I have a few nice pieces of this wood and the colors are like that.

BP 001.jpg

That's pretty wood and a pretty bowl. I've turned a few pieces of ponderosa pine that had a similar look but not quite as wild.

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice, was it green when you turned it or dry???
    Charlie,
    It was single turned to finished thickness green - therefore it is warped but not much. I positioned the bowl to hide the warpage in the photo but you can see a bit in the first photo. Most of my bowls are twice turned. I'm starting to ask myself why as I haven't the slightest bias against ovals. In David Ellsworth's new book he mentions that most production turners single-turned utility bowls and let em warp back in the day. Round bowls are more of a recent preference relatively speaking.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hilbelink View Post
    Not sure what you have there but you can send a piece to the forest product lab in Madison WI. I attached the address of the page that talks about the process and procedure. You can just search Forest Products Lab as well and they have a menu item that lists wood id. My dad has done this several times including some pieces I brought back from Africa. nice bowl you have there.
    http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html
    Dan,
    Thanks for the link and tip. I'll definitely keep it and maybe use it for this if I can get any more pieces of it. I'm trying to remember what the bark looked like

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    That's pretty wood and a pretty bowl. I've turned a few pieces of ponderosa pine that had a similar look but not quite as wild.
    Curt,
    I think that you are correct suggesting Ponderosa Pine. The previous post by Ron Hossack also guessed Blue Pine which is just the infected Ponderosa. Next time I get to the pile, I'll be a little less cavalier about identification while the pieces still have bark, etc.

Randy

That is a purdy piece Randy

Ponderosa pine is abundant here in the Sierras. I have been looking at a few trees with ill intent

Randy, I guess I was so intent on the wood I forgot to use my own question to get it right! Being that you live where you live, Ponderosa pine it is! Here in WI the white pine looks just like that, so I ran with it. No matter which pine it is they almost always will get the mold in them when they die and are not cut into lumber pretty quickly. But for us turners we want the wild colors to get it there and make the wild colors!

Have a great day,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown