Thread: Multiple 220 outlets on one breaker?

Multiple 220 outlets on one breaker?

I'm assuming this isn't a problem, but just wanted to check. I want to make sure it's okay to have (3) 220v outlets runing off one 20A breaker. The three machines(all 20A) would only be run one at a time. No problem, right?

P.S. - I already did this. Ran all the wiring/conduit today. Everything seems to work fine. I really hope this is okay, or else I just worked all day for nothing!

you are fine

The breaker protects everything. If you click on two motors on that circuit, you'll pop the breaker. Working as designed.

I ran a bunch of 240V 20A today too. Then some overhead stuff in EMT.

I do the same in my shop! ENJOY!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks for the quick replies, along with the answer I wanted!

Two of my neighbors, my brother, and my wife all said I was "insane" or "crazy" for messing with 220v. I should hire an electrician, etc, etc. I'm glad I did it myself, it was a good learning experience, not to mention the money it saved.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
    Two of my neighbors, my brother, and my wife all said I was "insane" or "crazy" for messing with 220v. I should hire an electrician, etc, etc. I'm glad I did it myself, it was a good learning experience, not to mention the money it saved.
    As long as you don't get stupid and try to hook up the circuit with the breaker panel live, and as long as you are careful and observant - understand the really very basic concepts involved in what you're doing, observe and follow the longstanding color codes on the wires (red and black are hot legs, white is the neutral leg, bare/green equipment ground, don't mix equipment ground and neutral on subpanels, don't crowd the conduit or box), don't leave bare wire showing, don't scrape insulation off the wires as you pull it, wrap the outlet in electrical tape after doing the hookups, etc. - 220 is no different from 120 is no different from rewiring a lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    wrap the outlet in electrical tape after doing the hookups
    Something I didn't do. I'll get that done ASAP.

Chris, as Bill said, and as you've discovered, the only real difference between running a 240 branch and a 120 branch is that with 240 you hook two wires to the breaker instead of just one.

Contrats, and enjoy.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

What do the local authorities have to say?

It'll work fine. My only concern would be if, god forbid, you have a fire and your uninspected installation is implicated. The insurance company could say "Sorry Charlie, we ain't payin'". Might be something to look into.

HTH

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It'll work fine. My only concern would be if, god forbid, you have a fire and your uninspected installation is implicated. The insurance company could say "Sorry Charlie, we ain't payin'". Might be something to look into.

HTH

Curt
    That's always the first thing insurance companies say anyway.
    Then, you cram it down their throats.
    Been there done that. Not with a fire, but with other expensive things, like the pool heater.
    I'm also State certified in heating and air conditioning, so when they balked, I got the gas company involved and did my own root cause analysis.
    New pool heater.
    But they (insurance) never want to pay out first.
    Glad to take your money though....

I'm late to the party here but just wanted to add that I actually asked this exact question of an electrician when I was wiring up the 220 runs in my workshop by myself. He said it's no problem. Like you, I asked the question after I had done the work

If you're at all skittish about insurance or breaker work. Then have yr local bldg office inspect yr work. Crazy, I know, but I did it, and I sleep better (and I'm an electrical engineer).

This of course assumes yr twp allows you to do elec work.