Thread: Stanley #5 type 14 with new tote & knob

Stanley #5 type 14 with new tote & knob

Hi everyone.
    I recently acquired a Stanley #5 type 14 from Walt at Brass City.
    When I ordered it I saw that it was missing the horn of the tote. No biggie at the time but I thought I would try to find a good tote and maybe a matching knob.
    I did see some on Ebay but was not lucky enough to get them.
    I checked around and found this site:
    drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/saleitems.html
    drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/saleitems.html

I decided to get the tote and knob together in cocobolo. It might seem expensive to some of you but right now I dont have the capability or the materials to make my own at this time so I ordered them. (Although I might consider that in the future).
    They were 35.00 for both & 5.00 shipping.
    He sent me some pics to make sure they looked good.
    They look very good.
    Received them yesterday and got them installed. Really makes my #5 look better and once installed are rock solid.
    I do not have any relation to this site, just wanted to relate a quality product in case some of you are looking for a knob or tote.
    Heres some pics:

Before:

After:

Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-28-2009 at 7:50 AM.
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

+1 on Greg Droz. He has been out of action for a few months doing a move. I hope he's back for good now. Definitely on the A list.

Yup... Greg does a great job.
    - jbd in Denver

Blog Entries
    That is not too bad a price for good wood. The stuff that is on eBay, used and dinged up can run that much.

You will know you have the bug when you refinish the plane so it looks as good as the handles.

I have bought ugly planes on eBay to get the wood only to find the plane wasn't that bad. Cleaned it up and it is now one of my favorite users. Amazing that you can get a "distressed" plane with good wood for less than you can buy the wood.

Ended up having to buy planes that were clearly broken with good wood to get handles cheap. With the time figured in on cleaning and sanding, it might work out easier just to buy the new ones.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is not too bad a price for good wood. The stuff that is on eBay, used and dinged up can run that much.

You will know you have the bug when you refinish the plane so it looks as good as the handles.

I have bought ugly planes on eBay to get the wood only to find the plane wasn't that bad. Cleaned it up and it is now one of my favorite users. Amazing that you can get a "distressed" plane with good wood for less than you can buy the wood.

Ended up having to buy planes that were clearly broken with good wood to get handles cheap. With the time figured in on cleaning and sanding, it might work out easier just to buy the new ones.

jim
    Slippery slope indeed. I just went to Autozone and bought their 2 remaining jugs of Evaop-Rust.
    Based on how good the examples in the other thread look after, I have to take care of mine that way too.
    I do have time to check Ebay for handles/planes for parts but it just takes soooo much time Ive decided that I will buy the totes and knobs Greg makes. That takes alot less time.
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Johnson View Post
    It might seem expensive to some of you but right now I dont have the capability or the materials to make my own at this time so I ordered them. (Although I might consider that in the future).
    They were 35.00 for both & 5.00 shipping.
    Don't think you have any worries with this bunch on the cost aspect. Cocobolo in the thickness and size you need was going to cost some $$$$, even if you did make them yourself.
    Greg does nice work, worth the $$$$.

It's a nice looking plane. You did a good job with it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Don't think you have any worries with this bunch on the cost aspect. Cocobolo in the thickness and size you need was going to cost some $$$$, even if you did make them yourself.
    Greg does nice work, worth the $$$$.

It's a nice looking plane. You did a good job with it.
    Thanks Mike!!
    I just finished sharpening the blade and flattening the sole.
    Shes real purdy now.
    Wishes-

Drozs

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm just finally getting back to where I can I can do some wood on a limited basis. Turnaround time will be longer but I will get it out and as always it is guaranteed.
    Thanks Again,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Drozdowski View Post
    Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm just finally getting back to where I can I can do some wood on a limited basis. Turnaround time will be longer but I will get it out and as always it is guaranteed.
    Thanks Again,
    Greg
    No problem Greg.
    Thanks for a quality product from a quality company!!
    Wishes-