Thread: Grizzly water grinder replacement stones

Grizzly water grinder replacement stones

I've got a Grizzly water grinder, they were also sold also by Delta for a while. Don't know if Delta still sells them or not. My question has to do with the !0" water stone. The one that came with my grinder wasn't very good. It got soft spots in it and got out of round. A friend who bought one several years ago, before I got mine, cautioned me not to leave the water in the tank as it would ruin the stone. I was always careful to drain the tank after using but it still got soft spots. Right now the stone is frozen on the shaft (not the best engineered grinder out there) the shaft and sleeve are steel. Water and steel, guess what happens? I'll give it several treatments of WD40 and see if it will loosen enough to get off. From what I can tell right now the center hole looks to be 15/16 of an inch. I don't have the proper tools to measure it with the shaft and sleeve still in it.

Do any of you know if other stones will fit. The Jet is 10" but I'm not sure of the hole size. I don't know about the other expensive one (can't spell the name, Tormak), I expect it's the same as the Jet. If any of you have any experience with these Grizzly or Delta grinders let me know. I've used mine for probably 15 years. The thing would have been fine if the stones would have been all right.

Berl

Well I did get the grinding wheel off the shaft with the help of WD40. I thought it had a steel sleeve around the shaft but it's some kind of material that looks like it's poured in the hole of the wheel and then drilled for the 7/8 inch shaft. Don't know what the material is, it's soft but has metal in it. Almost like a resin with a metal mixed in.

Now that I know exactly what size the shaft is, 7/8 inch. Do any of you know what size the center is on the Jet grinding wheels. Thanks

Berl

Sometimes grinding wheels have a lead center. Berl,tomorrow PM me to go out and measure my Jet grinding wheel. I am having a medical pre-proceedure preparation tomorrow,but can probably do it.

I had the same corrosion problems with the early Makita horizontal slow rpm grinders. The ones made today may still not be stainless.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-02-2009 at 10:04 PM.