View Poll Results: How much of your house is painted white?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 rooms

48 47.06%
  • 1 room

13 12.75%
  • 2 rooms

12 11.76%
  • 3 rooms

3 2.94%
  • 4 rooms

0 0%
  • 5 rooms or more

26 25.49%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rooms in your house are painted white?

Almost all the rooms in my house are white, or close to. The baby's room is off-white over light blue and the bathroom is a red pattern on white. The rest of the rooms are off-white (Sherwin-Williams Bone China) with bright white trim. Low maintenance, easy to repair and to clean, and the two shades of white allow the painted wood trim to be separate from the sheetrock walls.

P.S. The outside is white and the ceilings are white, too, as well as the sheetrock walls in the shop in the basement (because I had the paint left over from the upstairs)
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 03-04-2009 at 8:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Only the ceilings are painted white in our house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've only been in my house for a year but all of my down stairs rooms are painted pastel colors except for a spare bedroom. That currently has my shop over flow but it will get painted when things leave for the shop. Upstairs is all one big room but it will be a light blue by the end of this month.

Ultimately, white might not be the best overall choice for "interest" outside of some very specific design choices, usually in the contemporary world, but it's certainly an excellent starting point when you are making a home "your own". As to white trim...I prefer it for painted trim work and doors. That's a unifying theme in our home, at least the portions, including the addition that we have addressed to-date. Our "public spaces" are all the same comfortable shade of creamy yellow and the private spaces carry bolder color on the wall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No white here...even the ceilings are not being painted white anymore. They are painted a lighter shade of whatever the walls are....which are usually something fairly neutral. It makes all the rooms look bigger.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I like bright white semi-gloss on the walls and egg shell on the ceilings but have been out voted by SWMBO when ever the topic is addressed.
    David B

All white, except where the kids and dog/s have made it not so white. Out side getting done first then some color on the inside.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Only my shop is white.

A good friend of mine is an interior designer and I've spent some time looking at work she's done in people's home and offices. I was so impressed by what she does with color. She sees it, where as I don't. She's really into what colors trigger what emotions. So your den has a color that's visually relaxing and warm, where as the bedroom would be peaceful. I used to think it was all hooey until I started seeing the rooms she'd done. Now I'm a convert and I'd never consider painting any walls white.

It's all about the moods and emotions you want people to feel when they visit that room.

Come on, get rid of that white!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Ceilings and closets are white. Color everywhere...
    When Mama's happy, everybody is happy.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Pretty much everything is white, except the dining room and the wall of the master bedroom behind the bed. It's not that I have anything against color, but I'm a believer in the "color in the furnishings" approach. Mostly I just like the freedom of being able to shuffle furniture/rugs/artwork/whatever from room to room with worrying about whether it goes with the walls.

(I have also long since embraced my role as "statistical outlier" in pretty much all aspects of my life.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-03-2009 at 8:34 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    She's really into what colors trigger what emotions. So your den has a color that's visually relaxing and warm, where as the bedroom would be peaceful. I used to think it was all hooey until I started seeing the rooms she'd done. Now I'm a convert and I'd never consider painting any walls white.
    Bingo...

Our master bedroom is a darker sage green color. Very soothing to us. Our guest room and my office are a very light, creamy sage color. Public areas are the creamy yellow I mentioned before and the multi-purpose/media room is a shade darker...almost gold which is very rich. The white trim ties everything together, but the colors fit the purpose of the rooms and help make them more comfortable spaces.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When we bought our house, I figured that Virginia was undergoing a white paint shortage because all of it was on our walls. Since then we have repainted all but one room, and it remains white because we still haven't decided exactly what to do with that room.

Having a house that was painted all white, which made it essentially a blank canvas, it was a lot of fun. Every little bit of color softened the stark look of the house, and actually, we had a great time experimenting with sample colors. We found it interesting that a lot of colors we wouldn't have thought a good idea on a wide expanse of wall actually looked a lot better than we had expected.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

All of my walls are white, the kitchen and baths are gloss white. The rest of the house has skim coat plaster that has never been painted. My last house was unpainted except the bath for 14 years, if the kids messed up the walls; a rag with bleach cleaned them right up. The home I have now I painted the rec room because it is finished with dry wall. Some day if I can find on of those decorators that has some ideal of what colors, maybe I’ll paint the walls eer more like I’ll pay someone, I HATE to PAINT!!!!!
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

15. There are only two rooms in my house that are white. Both of those are my den and my wife's office. All of the other rooms in our house are a different color or white with at least one wall painted another color.