Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a headstock spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    Heavy is better! The box underneath the headstock is filled with sand all the way to the floor, if I remember right--it has to weigh close to 1000lbs or more.
    Sand is a real good idea. It makes it a little more mobile if the need to move it came about. I have an overhead trolly hoist in the workshop I plan on placing the lathe direcly under to facilitate loading a big log on it, so no reason to limit myself when ballast is cheap.

<moving stuff around in the shop on my day off>

I agree with others that a tailstock is important. Also someone else mentioned ebay. I looked and there are quite a few headstocks and tailstocks for sale.
    The heaviest looking one to me was from a SENECA FALLS LATHE. It would have to be converted from gear to pulley but they state the headstock is about 100 pounds (currently $25 and no bids).
    If you have the place to put it, I like the idea of concrete base also.
    Look forward to seeing pics as it comes along.
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks Michael but I think I am sold on the pillow block bearings and custom machined shaft.
    All the big bowls I have seen turned on Youtube that impressed me were done with nothing more than a faceplate and chuck so thats what I'm looking at. Just a big motor to spin wood and a tool rest

I'll post pics for sure

I'm liking the concrete idea...

Just ponderin the possibilities...

That was last night...

A more refined design tonight...

What do ya all think?

I am planning to use a solid 24" x 24" piece 42" tall and have the spindle set at about 36". I will set 4 #6 rebar verticals per side and set a mat of #6 rebar 6" O.C. above and below the spindel. I plan to use a 1 1/2" spindel and three bearing sets. I think a guy could just grease up a 2" diameter dowel to get your through hole and drive it out after the concrete sets. I think it is important to have plenty of mass above the spindle as below and between the bearing points to dampen an out of balance blank. Over-build it and it will not fail you. Under-build it and you might end up with a new "window" in your shop wall or worse...

Travis, You do realise you are talking over 2,000# of concrete with the measurements you provide? And there is no need for mass above the center-line of the spindle, it would be counter-productive. But give it a shot and post pics.

I have a brand new spindle with bearings that fits a Vicmarc VL300 if you want. Spindle nose is 1 1/4-8. Email me at brent@turnrobust.com if you are interested and we can discuss price and shipping. It will be reasonable. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brent English View Post
    I have a brand new spindle with bearings that fits a Vicmarc VL300 if you want. Spindle nose is 1 1/4-8. Email me at brent@turnrobust.com if you are interested and we can discuss price and shipping. It will be reasonable. Thanks
    E-mail sent!!!
    Thanks Brent, I hope it works out well for both of us.
    Mark